Alternative to Nissan K Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan sells a "K" type transmission fluid for their automatic transmissions that is quite expensive. I understand that there is now multitype synthetic transmissions fluids available from CAMII for Nissan, GM, Toyota 5,6,&7 speed automatics.

Any reccomendations for a Nissan 5 speed Auto??

I am using Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my Titan (matic-j). Dealer put it in, as I had the truck in the shop for a recall issue a few months ago. Normally, I do most of the maintenance myself, but, I figured I would let the dealer handle the messy flush. MaxLife states it is compatible with Matic-d,j,k.

Dave

Last edited:
The Maxlife is good stuff, but with the newer formulation, it's thinner and "MIGHT" change your shifting characteristics some. You can also look at the Castrol Import Multi Vehicle.

I've used both in my wife's Pilot and I didn't care for the shifts with the thinner Maxlife.

@K20FA5: Thanks for the recommendations. I want to buy something that is available. I am just not sure how thin the original K fluid is?

Once again, I may be way off here but I believe:

The Matic K, J, S, etc is the same viscosity as Dex III. I know that the Castrol Import stuff is the viscosity of Dex III. The Maxlife says it still meets the Matic specs, but it is the lower viscosity of Dex VI.

Either of them (Maxlife or Castrol Import) would work, but I just didn't like the way the shifts felt in our Honda with the thinner fluid.

I can't find it now, but I have read somewhere that Castrol makes the OEM Matic fluids and the Import fluid is almost the exact same formulation as the Matis stuff. Don't take this as gospal since I can't find it now and it was just from the internet.

Last edited:
Matic K is used in Nissans equipped with Aisin transmissions. Give you a little hint, 3309/T-IV.

Any universal or multivehicle ATF mentioning Jaso-1a, 3309, or T-IV will work fine. Stick with a full synthetic.

Easy choices are Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple, Maxlife...

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Matic K is used in Nissans equipped with Aisin transmissions. Give you a little hint, 3309/T-IV.

Any universal or multivehicle ATF mentioning Jaso-1a, 3309, or T-IV will work fine. Stick with a full synthetic.

unDummy,

Do you know what the spec is on the Matic J/S? I'm going to be doing a 15K drain/fill on my Frontier soon. Thanks!

@UnDummy: Redline D4 ATF - "Popular applications: Toyota Type T-III and T-IV, Honda ATF Z1, NissanMatic D, J, K, & S, Diamond SP-II, SP-III, Mazda ATF M-V, most BMW, Audi, VW automatic transmissions".
Of all the fluids you mention I trust Redline the most. Never had an issue with Redline products, and they are always willing to dislose product information.
grin.gif

Thank you everyone for your inputs. I really didn't want to buy the Nissan fluid. I wanted a full synthetic transfluid for my Maxima due to the fact that it lacks a trans cooler.

For Matic J/S, some choices are Amsoil, Redline, RoyalPurple, Valvoline Maxlife, Amalie, Castrol Import or HM, Mobil-1...

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Originally Posted By: unDummy

unDummy,

Do you know what the spec is on the Matic J/S? I'm going to be doing a 15K drain/fill on my Frontier soon. Thanks!

I have a Nissan Titan that had the Matic J. I ran 60k with BG universal synthetic with no problem. I replaced with Royal Purple Max ATF and it is perfect.

I would not opt for a spill and fill, but a full synthetic atf exchange...you can easily go 50-60k with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back