Lubro Moly - A Bit More Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran out of Lubro Moly engine oil additive and ran for about 1,500 miles on a 'regular' oil change. [I normally use it every time.]
I just got a case UPS'd to me and added about 1/2 a bottle .
After a 12 mile drive, the idle was quite high - something was loosened up. I let it idle for a few minutes to relearn a new Idle air motor setting.
But something for sure was different. I know this car [ZX2] and the idle was way up there. The idle is never high after a minute or so.

Conclusion for me? This is just about what happened when I initially started using the Lubro Moly. It slicks thing up inside. It seems any residual Moly is not to be depended on 100%.

I can tell a difference with the addition of the MoS2 as well, and it seems for best results it should be used at each OCI. It has some residual effects, but I think for best results a full bottle should be added initially, and then one ounce per qt of oil at each OCI after the first full bottle treatment. According to the mfg a full bottle can and should be added at each OCI.

This is the second season I'm using it in my snow blower, the engine is quieter and smoother running with the MoS2. What I did this year with the snow blower was change the oil in the spring when I stored the machine and didn't add the MoS2 for fear of it settling out. The first snow we had I started the engine let it idle for about 2 minutes and added a little over an ounce of the MoS2, you could actually tell a difference almost instantly.

Mechtech2 how much did the case end up costing per bottle? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Not the Autorx Frank
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
why would a computer controlled engine idle any differently than the setpoint?

U read my mind

I also have to agree with this. I can understand how it would quite things down or make it feel to be running smoother, but a computer controlled idle, is a computer controlled idle. Now, I might could see this happening on an older carburatored engine.

Interesting stuff this Liquid Moly. I use TufOil and the same routine as described with the Liquid Moly happens if I add it after the OCI. I notice how smooth the engine will idle after I add it to the oil after 20 miles or so.

I use the same dose....1 ounce for every quart of oil, after the initial treatment of a 8 ounce bottle the first time.

TufOil is loaded with MOLY.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Interesting stuff this Liquid Moly. I use TufOil and the same routine as described with the Liquid Moly happens if I add it after the OCI. I notice how smooth the engine will idle after I add it to the oil after 20 miles or so.

I use the same dose....1 ounce for every quart of oil, after the initial treatment of a 8 ounce bottle the first time.

Isn't TufOil loaded with PTFE, rather than moly?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

Tufoil MSDS

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Tufoil MSDS

I have no idea what type of moly that is.

Here is a VOA, that another member had taken, of TufOil a while back....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post478712

Have a read...

MolaKule on oils and additives

Here is the particular reference...
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Here's another useful multifunctional ester:

1. PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID, O,OBIS(
2-ETHYLHEXYL) ESTER,
MOLYBDENUM COMPLEX 72030-25-2

Soluble Moly complex, AW/EP and antioxidant

I'm not sure how it can effect a computer controlled idle either but I'll toss this out for discussion, and maybe mechtech2 can comment. Perhaps on an older EFI vehicle, the idle increases slightly due to the product, the computer senses this and cuts the idle back to its normal idle. So for a short period of time you notice it. Mechtech2 did say QUOTE: I let it idle for a few minutes to relearn a new Idle air motor setting.

I've used it in a few 1 cylinder engines as well as 3 cars now, it is very easy to hear and tell a difference in a small engine with the addition of this stuff. The cars responded well to it also.

Maybe someone who uses Lubro Moly can help to explain this to me....

When I take a look at the VOA of Lubro Moly, Where is the Moly?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1054904

When I take a look at the VOA of TufOil, you can plainly see that it is loaded with Moly, Phosphorous and Zinc and other elements.

So is the name used for Lubro Moly misleading or is it just a name for a product without consideration for the actual Moly content?

Does anyone know for sure?

The VOA you are looking at is for their 0W-40 oil, not their additive. The MoS2 additive is loaded with moly. Most of their oils have either very little or no moly in them, except their 10W-40.

Maybe someone who uses Lubro Moly can help to explain this to me....

When I take a look at the VOA of Lubro Moly, Where is the Moly?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1054904

When I take a look at the VOA of TufOil, you can plainly see that it is loaded with Moly, Phosphorous and Zinc and other elements.

So is the name used for Lubro Moly misleading or is it just a name for a product without consideration for the actual Moly content?

Does anyone know for sure?

Here is a VOA of the Lubro Moly MoS2 additive. Lots and lots of moly.

Lubro Moly MoS2 Additive VOA

Johnny is correct the additive that you should be looking at is loaded.

i'll throw in my experience in here i have it in two cars my Grand Am and the kids Sunfire,i will add we've had some darn cold morns here -digits and the Sunfire sits out side and sometimes cranks slower on start up but i haven't experienced that since the LB was added so i know it's doing something.

LMMoS2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back