M1 vtwin 20w50 + rotella t6 5w40 = ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mixed 3 quarts of rotella 5w40 with almost a full quart of mobil 1 vtwin 20w50. What will this do to the weight?

The bike calls for 10w40 and my thoughts are the 20w50 will help keep it a 40 weight at operating temp. Surely a 5w40 is going to shear quickly, but I haven't looked up any UOA's on this oil.

You will get a mix of 5w-40 and 20w-50. Oils are compatible and can be safely intermixed. Remember there are only a handfull of companies that make oil additives. Usually what happens is the "strong"oil is weakened and the "weak" oil is strenghtened.

If you going to do that, stick with similar type oil like all mobil 1 product.

like 1 quart 20w50 to 2 quart 10w40

Rotella 5w40 and Mobil1 is a [censored] mixture IMO

Nothing. You now have a mixture of predominately Rotella and almost a quart of another fine motor oil. Not enough to make a big difference.

Still, like some other wise man said - try to stick with the same oil manufacturer if that is something that you plan to do on a regular basis.

Remember that many motorcycles leave a quart of (whatever WAS in there) behind when you change the oil. You can never get it all out. In my mind, it won't make much - if any - difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back