2005 honda accord oil reccomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Walmart yesterday (in Tulsa) and they had Syntec @ 5qt for $21 (rollback, not a sale) so if you don't mind supporting BP...that's not bad.

My accord calls for 5w-30 from the factory I believe, its an 05. But i see a lot of people using 0w oils on here, would my car benefit from 0w-20 at all or is 5w-30 fine?

Your Accord will call for a 5W-20 oil, but since it is out of warranty, use 5W-30 if you feel like it or can get it cheaper - it doesn't matter.

Using a '0W' oil, 0W-20 or 0W-30, makes sense in the winter, as these oils flow faster in the cold. IF you're going to use a synthetic, it makes sense to use one of them.

the '05 I-4 calls for 5w-20. use it. especially now that it's winter. i don't feel comfortable straying from honda spec.

as my signature says, i go with pp (pennzoil platinum) and a pure 1 filter, a great combo that works for me. that said i would not hesitate to use dino, and am going to try pyb (pennzoil yellow bottle) in the Spring.

from the uoa's i've read on this motor it is, in fact, easy on oil. if you want to see a picture of the '05 I-4 valvetrain go here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2129911#Post2129911

the op stated his mechanic did oil changes with dino for the first 110,000 miles at 4k oci and used the "orange can of death" aka fram oil filter.

you've purchased a great car imo, although i'm biased. personally i think it is better than the 8th gen. btw i use the new formula honda mtf in my manual transmission and have no issues.

great purchase. enjoy it. the 5-manual I-4 is an awesome combo.

I've got an 05 4cyl with 149K average OCI 7K on 1/2PP 1/2 PYB 5-30. Typically a P1 filter
runs as new.bottom line it really doesn't matter what you use as long as you change it regularly.
Amsoil Redline Royal Purple at 5K changes IMO is a complete waste of money-might as well throw 10 dollar bills out the window as you drive it---as some have said the engine will outlast the rest of the car

Steve

Have 125k on my '03 2.4 owned since new and run 5w/20 7,500 mi. oci and 15,000 fci's like the manual calls for, always buy sale oil ..shell, citgo, chevron api approved but never more than .59 cents and supertec filters. no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back