High pay, hard-labor job. How's your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've talked to a lot of blue-collar workers. Many of them are industrial workers(mostly union), and make well over $60,000+. They complain that their job is crud but the pay is awesome. When they come home, they look beat and tired; because of this, many turn to alcohol, cigarettes and comfort foods to ease the pain. After years, they look miserable but only continue because the pay is awesome.

How many of you are in this bracket? I've met people who were opposite: low pay ($25,000-$40,000),and are having a really happy life, especially the single guys.

Since money is not really happiness, how come we rather have more money than a good life? Is this Man?

Last edited:
I did non-union construction. OK pay. No benefits. 3 compressed disc and one tilted off axis or something and arthritis surrounding all of it. I was always very careful about my back but the grind does work a toll. My elbows and wrists are not much better plus one carpel tunnel surgery and its still hard to hold a cup of coffee. Last summer I was 30 miles from home on my motorcyle and almost didn't make it home due to my hands going completely numb.

Money may not buy happiness but it sure as heck can rent it!

Seriously, I remember many years ago a woman said to me "I'm tired of being judged by how I look." I replied "and I get tired of being judged by how much money I make." I think many people, men in particular think money is the most important thing. Society often does too.

John

Main reason for Unions... to deal with [censored] employers.
Someone has to represent and allow for fairness.

I live near an auto assembly plant and know people that work there. Pay is good if you hang in there. I am told the oldest guy on the line is 39 years old, and he has bad shoulders. They work 2 weeks days, and two weeks nights. Any health issues, and they get rid of you like an old pair of shoes.

Last edited:
I work in mold injection as a operator, the pay isnt very good(better then my former job, deburring sheet metal) and nethier are the benifits but it puts money in my pocket. But running a straight 8 with 35 minutes worth of break time is really nice but accourse I've come home from working one day with popped blisters on my hands and my wrists feel like there ready to come undone. But I like what I'm doing, thats the main thing.

My entire family is union just about. Many different jobs. Some are welders, boilermakers, power plant maintenance, and miners. All get paid very well for the work they do. Most of them live nice lives and have pensions. My step father used to make 18 dollars/hr in the mines union and when it shut down he worked non union and made something like 14 dollar/hr. They do have dirty/hard jobs but they get compensated well for it. Myself, i live in NC and work for RFMD as a design engineer. About the dirtiest i get at work is sharpening a pencil.

Originally Posted By: Popinski

How many of you are in this bracket? I've met people who were opposite: low pay ($25,000-$40,000),and are having a really happy life, especially the single guys.

Since money is not really happiness, how come we rather have more money than a good life? Is this Man?

We're not in that bracket actually middle of what you'd consider low pay. I'm not single but married with one kid and another on the way. We do pretty good considering. Happiness is alot of factors. Most that I know that are unhappy have alot of debt/bills. Trying to keep up the Joneses as they say. Not really dependent on income. The only real debt we have is the house. I can't tell you how much stress that takes off a person. You can enjoy life alot more without those burdens.

I work in a non-union warehouse on a 4 day 10hr schedule with Sat,Sun and Mon my days off, pay is good and the Mgmt is fair, could be worse but I thank the Good Lord for this job as everyday I see people in dire straits with the economy the way it is
frown.gif

I worked years in retail and bicycles shops; I thought I finally got a 'real' job when I got into a non-union aircraft wheel shop. hardest work I've ever done, only topped out at $11/hr (in 2000!)
used that job to go back to school (they did 100% reimbursement) got into electronics $15-16/ or so, then FINALLY got into a union optoelectronics company- almost $20/hr! (2001 dollars)
hated the culture, the laziness of the senior workers, the back stabbing attitude when layoffs came.
now, 10 years later many of us work in the same industry, for the company that picked up the pieces when the union company when under. I'm making almost the same, but $20/hr in 2011 is hardly what it was in 2001.
but it's the best job I've ever had, best working environment, best culture I've ever experienced.
I'll 'suffer' w/ $40K/yr for the piece of mind and lack of stress of this job.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I work in a non-union warehouse on a 4 day 10hr schedule with Sat,Sun and Mon my days off, pay is good and the Mgmt is fair, could be worse but I thank the Good Lord for this job as everyday I see people in dire straits with the economy the way it is
frown.gif

Thats the way you gotta look at it.

My observation from an engineering and heavy construction/maintenance perspective is that people are working harder than they ever had.

No "spare" staff to be moved around to cover shortages/peaks, every new need requires more effort.

We were told how wonderful globalism would be and that we would love it! Well I'm not loving it.Now I am forced to live on very little.Driving a mostly worn out pickup ,but at least I own the old shack I live in.

30 years, same job here. The first part of my career, the equipment was tall, and sub sections were removed from the top, destroying a lot of lower backs. Equipment was changed about 16 years ago, and now the sub sections are removed from the front of the equipment. Visual inspections are now done by kneeling, so my company is now tearing up eveyones knees. Gotta love progress. As far as pay, there has been a freeze, and I haven't had a raise in 3 years. But there is oodles of OT, and I availed myself of 20k of that pie in 10. Personally, I find happiness elusive, but it keeps me looking for it. It has less to do with what I do, vs how I do it, and my attitude.

Man, I really need to relocate to somehwere that 60 grand is considered high pay!
shocked.gif

I currently make about 60% of what I did in 2008. It is tough, but as malo said, I consider myself lucky to have the job I do now. Several of the guys I worked with in 2008 (company went belly up in early 2009) still have not found jobs and of those who have, I have done the best. My benefits are pretty good and the company overall is a decent employer.

That being said, I'm acutely aware that this job could be history at any moment. I'm trying to diversify my finances with other sources of income by doing side work unrelated to my job. Every little bit helps.

During college in the mid-1960's I worked on the line for a packing plant during three summers to pay for tuition the next year. Back then packing plant pay was decent, but packing chuck rolls was hard, gruelling work. No overtime, but I could work all the hours I wanted and 12 hour days were the norm. To this day I don't each much red meat nor can I stand the smell of a packing or rendering plant.

I also bucked kegs for a beer distributor for a couple of summers, and on Saturdays during school. Not the newer kegs with handles that the distributors now have, but the rounded ones with no handles (Pabst). Like the packing plant, the pay was decent but it was hard, gruelling work. At least it was in stinky smokey bars rather than a stinky packing plant.

After college I vowed never to do either again.

not a union worker and not a blue collar worker, but definitely in the high pay high bracket. It is definitely worth it because I love what I do, but more than 1/2 of my coworkers are seeing chiropractors on a regular basis and many after 50 couldn't keep up with the younger guys and have to either back down to a lower pay, lower responsibility position or become a dead wood that couldn't do much. I'm sure one day I'll be the same.

Basically my life is sleep, work, cooking, taking care of work injured wife (also in high pay high stress job with long commute).

Last edited:
When Oz increased the retirement age to 67, the relevent minister was asked how a brickie or other loborer could possibly hope to reach 67 when their back, knees, etc. are usually shot well before that.

"They can re-train in their 40s for a desk job".

Let them eat cake.

Happiness is what you make it. I have always had professional, monetary and personal goals. I gain happiness by reaching goals and rewarding myself.
I worked hard labor jobs for a few years after the the Marines. AS soon as I gopt my carreer path started in less dirty jobs that required more mental rigor than physical that is where I went. I knew I could not keep up with those activities for a lifetime opf work.
Is my job sometimes stressful? Yes. Is it rewarding? Yes both financially and with recognition and advancement.
My home life is more important to my overall happiness. Having a happy wife , real friends and a lifestyle and activities you enjoy and the means to do so is more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back