silverado with 5.3 (b) motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an aluminum block in my 06 silverado. Does anyone think this is a bad thing? Can aluminum crack easier? Anyone have experience with this engine?

Thanks and I am a newbie, take it easy.

My all-aluminum Honda Civic engine only made it 227k under my watch and then I sold it for a larger car, still running just fine. Can it crack easier? Sure, if there's a design flaw or you don't take care of it. Doubtful that it will, however.

Most engines these days are aluminum. Except for rare exceptions, cracking isn't usually a problem. The 5.3 GM V-8 is a very reliable engine.

I have 240kms on my 5.3 and those are really hard
miles. That truck of mine is tuff. It's my winter ride cause a mustang sucks in the snow

The 5.3 comes in Iron block and Aluminum block. Never heard of one being better than the other as far as durability or problem areas. I do know that, at my assembly plant, we build more aluminum block motors than iron.

Just seems rare for a truck. I would expect it out of a performance rig suck as a vette or camaro, but a 4x4 pick up? What's the point? Heat transfer is probably better in the (B) block, but is it worth the added price to shave 100lbs in a utility vehicle that have heavy duty suspension...

Originally Posted By: Joshusmc
Just seems rare for a truck. I would expect it out of a performance rig suck as a vette or camaro, but a 4x4 pick up? What's the point? Heat transfer is probably better in the (B) block, but is it worth the added price to shave 100lbs in a utility vehicle that have heavy duty suspension...

Yes - when you factor in CAFE - they need all the help they can get.

My understanding is the aluminum engine is used to offset the weight added by the 4x4 components.

I have an aluminum block in my 06 silverado. Does anyone think this is a bad thing? Can aluminum crack easier? Anyone have experience with this engine?

Thanks and I am a newbie, take it easy.

The B code in your Vin# designates your 5.3L as the L33 High Output aluminum version. This engine was only offered in Extended Cab 4WD 1500 Silverado and Sierra models from 2005-2007( Classic models ). It was only used for those 3 years. Starting with the new body style in 2007 the aluminum 5.3L's were only available in Crew Cab 4WD trucks but the power was the same between the cast and aluminum versions. No power increase for the aluminum as with the L33 in 05-07C. In your trucks time frame instead of the standard LM7 5.3L's 295 HP found in all other Silverado's and Sierra's the L33 5.3L put out 310 HP.

I actually had a 2005 Silverado 1500 EC 4WD with the L33 5.3L HO(B)engine. It was a fine engine. No problems and of all the full sized trucks I have ever owned that truck handily got the best MPG. 18 on average and I could push 23+ MPG all highway.

Great truck. Got destroyed in a hail storm just 3 months after buying it. Insurance company screwed me over and didn't fix it right so I sold it and bought a NBS 2007 Silverado 1500 EC 4WD w/ 5.3L to replace it. Liked the 05 a lot better. If not for the hail storm that trashed it I would probably still have it.

You will love the truck. Don't worry about the aluminum block. No problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
The B code in your Vin# designates your 5.3L as the L33 High Output aluminum version. This engine was only offered in Extended Cab 4WD 1500 Silverado and Sierra models from 2005-2007( Classic models ).

Was there exterior badging denoting this? I seem to remember a "Vortec Max" version of the GM trucks. Was this it?

Thanks for the input sir. I do love the truck, had it for six months now, with only 50k on the odometer. Got it from an elderly gent who no longer needed a truck.

When you say you liked your 05 better, make that both of us man. I test drove many, many 2010's before I bought this guy's truck. It seems every year they are less a truck and more of a car. My grandpa sold his 2001 silverado for a 2011 and he already misses it. "it felt more like a truck" he says, However, every household needs a truck and I feel this is the reason they build them now to accomodate folks who want the clean ride and bells and whisltes. Who really needs a back up camera? Who really needs a man step? Anyway that stuff is here to stay. It's neat, but not for this guy.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The B code in your Vin# designates your 5.3L as the L33 High Output aluminum version. This engine was only offered in Extended Cab 4WD 1500 Silverado and Sierra models from 2005-2007( Classic models ).

Was there exterior badging denoting this? I seem to remember a "Vortec Max" version of the GM trucks. Was this it?

No. The Vortec Max was the 6.0L engine.

Nope. They did nothing special on the exterior to designate it was the High Output 5.3L. As said, it was ONLY available in the 05-07(Classsic) 1500 Extended Cab 4WD models. They all had that engine in that config.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

No. The Vortec Max was the 6.0L engine.

They had a limited edition truck called the "Vortec High Output". They had 6.0L engines with special badges on the truck at one point in the early - mid 2000's in 1500 Silverado's and Sierra's. Now they call the 6.0L 1500 trucks VortecMax.

got one of these trucks it's a 05 extended cab 4x4 with the L33 310 hp it was special ordered by the dealer with unusual options on it that I really like so it's here to stay, I doubt I ever get rid of it.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back