2004 Chevy Blazer How Do You Get It Out Of 4wd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a call from a friend and he has a 2004 chevy blazer and says he can't seem to get it out of 4wheel drive he says he has a button on the dash...i dont know he is about 6 hours away and this is the first time he used it in the winter and says it wont come out of 4 wheel drive... He is trying to do it in park i dont know what to tell him i never even say that blazer he has..any tips?

Not sure. My moms co woerker has a 02 I think Trailblazer and when it snowed the other day her message center read "4WD Failure" or something like that.

Is it a blazer or trailblazer? Look like an S10 in front or something else?

My 98 S10 has vacuum actuated hubs and a pushbutton xfer case. Id bet that if there is a vac issue, it wont go out...

I wouldnt drive it except straight.

Never had to do it on ours. On a 2000 S10 Blazer, there is a 4WD control box behind the right kick panel. The transfer case has a servo motor to shift it. The front axle has a solenoid (on the firewall) actuated vacuum motor (under battery) that pulls a cable that eventually goes down to the front diff. There is a service 4wd light that will illuminate for a detected fault. I'm assuming the 2004 is same / similar to a 2000.
Is he stuck in 4lo or 4hi. If he is in 4hi he can be moving and in gear. 4lo is < 3mph and in nuetral. It helps to be rolling a little.

He may have driveline wrap up. It's from driving on a hard surface in 4x4. Try driving straight forward about 40 ft then backup straight about 40 ft.

If that wont do it jack up a front wheel and push the 2wd button.

when you back up go in a gentle arc left and right. If you have something binding it will unbind for a split second.

Originally Posted By: QuOk
Try backing up and taking it out of 4WD.

BINGO... many times the mechanical parts that put the FWD in FWD can freeze when you coat the underneath with snow/ice etc.. Also the FWD trucks I have owned if your in a bind etc they will not come out of FWD, backing up in a straight line would solve this, as well the push button FWD with auto locking hubs need this backing up to get out of FWD.. even if the light or whatever showed you were out of FWD everything was still locked up until you backed up.

My 99 S10 will sometimes get stuck in or out of 4wd. All I have to do to get it to work again is disconnect the battery for thirty seconds and then hook it back up. The switch will work fine for a few months, then get stuck again. I don't know exactly what the cause is but this little trick fixes it every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back