3M fuel system cleaner kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago I bought one of these kits used for a good price,
B000K1PMDE
. It uses a 3 part system that includes a fuel tank additive, a spray throttle body cleaner, and a can of injector cleaner that hooks right into your fuel rail. It's not the DIY universal kit, it's the one that runs right into the fuel rail.

I haven't used this yet but from what I have read it is a great fuel system cleaner. Has anyone used a kit like this before? If so is it better than something like techron or seafoam?

Sounds to be similar to the BG44K Induction Service. Far more effective than dumping stuff into the gas tank.

Thanks guys. It's the pro kit that needs a special adaptor for different vehicles, not the DIY kit. I have a few adaptors that came with the used kit I bought.

Anyone have experience with this kit and how well it works? I see 3m has a video on how it works.

My old shop had one of those 3M kits in a plastic case.

It never got used. We also had a big multi-cylinder arrangement with pump on a wheeled cart.

I wish I'd known the 3M kit cost that much. I probably could have bought it from my old boss for pennies on the dollar.

I bought my kit in a yellow plastic box from a shop that was going out of business for a lot cheaper. The kit is only 400 or so brand new but the real cost is the adaptors, the master adaptor kit is something like 1400 bucks!

I have been tracing down the chemicals to use with it and it looks to be around 30 bucks per treatment for the gas tank, throtle body, and injector cleaners.

Any reason your shop didn't use it? From what I read it's what a lot of the dealerships use everyday and is supposed to be top of the line.

Last edited:
I have no idea but if 3M makes it, it will be good. They do not make a single bad product. In every category that they have a product, it will be always in top 3. In some cases, 3M is the standard against which other products are measured. Even in cases where other should hold edge, 3M still beats them. For example, Velcro vs 3M for hook and loop tape; 3M version is lot better.

- Vikas

Thanks Vikas.

Yes I believe it's one of the better fuel system cleaners out there from what I have read. From what I have read most dealerships use the 3M cleaner.

The chemicals to use it aren't really to expensive, guess the kit is the expensive part. I am going to order a can of the cleaner that goes in the gas tank and a can of the cleaner than hooks up to the fuel rail and give it a try. I need to order an adaptor for gm shrader valves also.

Funny thing is I have had this kit sitting around, bought it from a mechanic that needed money a few years back. Kind of forgot about it and was going to try out a can of seafoam on a car. Then read seafoam could mess with o2 sensors. Remembered I had the 3M kit and started doing some research on what I needed to make it work.

I am in similar situation. Couple years ago, I picked up the similar but DIY i.e. amateur version of that kit. I got it for a great price and I am saving it for a really "rainy day". I have heard very good things about that kit.

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

This is all you need:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=84975&affiliateid=10050

I do my "on the fuel rail" cleanings using only this. I used to buy the 3M cleaner, but at near $20 ... I now use BWD Procleen that can be found at O'Riellys (behind the counter) for $9.95 and it works just the same.

Just remove the fuel pump relay, pop the hose on the can, thread on the fuel rail and turn it on and start the car.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

This is all you need:

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=84975&affiliateid=10050

I do my "on the fuel rail" cleanings using only this. I used to buy the 3M cleaner, but at near $20 ... I now use BWD Procleen that can be found at O'Riellys (behind the counter) for $9.95 and it works just the same.

Just remove the fuel pump relay, pop the hose on the can, thread on the fuel rail and turn it on and start the car.

That hose you linked to is just an update part for the lisle 55700 fuel system kit. It's not designed to use alone. You may be able to but how do you regulate the pressure you are sending the cleaner in at with out using the regulator in the full lisle kit?

3M, Lisle, OTC all make complete kits that are pretty nice. The OTC and lisle use cheaper chemicals, I know the OTC uses a chemical you pour into their setup. I don't own a business and will only be using this 1-2 times a year at most and already have the 3M kit. So I am going to stick with what I have, an extra 10 bucks per vehicle isn't a big deal when you are just doing your own vehicles. Even if I got just the hose you linked to it's 50 bucks, so at a 10 dollar savings per car it would take 5 cars to make up that savings. If I was a business it would make sense but since I already have the 3M kit and only using it once in a while it makes more sense to stick with that.

Originally Posted By: scott37300
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

This is all you need:

That hose you linked to is just an update part for the lisle 55700 fuel system kit. It's not designed to use alone. You may be able to but how do you regulate the pressure you are sending the cleaner in at with out using the regulator in the full lisle kit?

3M, Lisle, OTC all make complete kits that are pretty nice. The OTC and lisle use cheaper chemicals, I know the OTC uses a chemical you pour into their setup. I don't own a business and will only be using this 1-2 times a year at most and already have the 3M kit. So I am going to stick with what I have, an extra 10 bucks per vehicle isn't a big deal when you are just doing your own vehicles. Even if I got just the hose you linked to it's 50 bucks, so at a 10 dollar savings per car it would take 5 cars to make up that savings. If I was a business it would make sense but since I already have the 3M kit and only using it once in a while it makes more sense to stick with that.

You don't need to regulate the flow - the can is pressurized and the engine runs off of it. Trust me - I bought my first "cleaning kit" from Ecklers Corvette sales. It included a very similiar hose and a can of 3M cleaner...all for under $50. I've been using it for over 10 years with fine results. Now - I do also own a cannister (professional cleaning kit) unit that cost me about $300 used from a dealership that went out of business, but I only use that for chemical in regular bottles not under pressure. I will put B12 or something in there and run it thru the fuel rail.

I'm just saying that the kit is waayyy too much money for what you get. Heck -you can get a fuel pressure gauge, the hose and the cleaner all for about $80.

I'm sorry - I reread your post - I missed that you ALREADY had the kit!! I thought you wanted to buy it. In that case - yeah just buy the can and go to town.

No worries, thanks for the advice.

I was just curious about the hose you linked to. My 3M kit also just runs off the pressurized can but it has a regulator that you set a few PSI less than the car's fuel system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back