Foamy psf and very noisy pump, 03 Olds Alero 3.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my niece's 2003 Olds Alero with 3.4L engine. This morning she complained about her car being very loud. I looked at it and noise seemed to be coming from ps pump. I looked at the fluid and it was all foamy. It wasn't low on fluid actually was full, just very foamy, looked like coca-cola shaken in a bottle. She didn't drive the car, I let her take my truck. The fluid is fairly new, less than 6 months (Prestone psf from WM). Is it the wrong fluid? Is the pump bad? Or is it getting air somewhere? By the way outside temp was -11F this morning, could the cold have contributed to this?
By the way this ps pump has always seemed a little noisy to me.
Thanks in advance

Originally Posted By: moss
looked like coca-cola shaken in a bottle.

Was the fluid brown?

It may have somehow got air into the system, or the Prestone P/S fluid is junk. Is there a problem with running a higher quality ATF in the system?

I'm not sure if I can run ATF in this particular pump, I have plenty of Maxlife ATF at home though. I was thinking of getting some generic psf and replacing the foamy fluid in the car.

You could sucking air through the lines. I've never experienced weather as cold as you are experiencing, but can the Prestone fluid handle -11F and still flow properly? I think the first thing you should consider is trying a new fluid.

The power steering fluid needs to be GM spec 9985010, equivalent to GM part number 1052884 or 1050017

Older Prestone does not meet the GM power steering spec.

Valvoline SynPower synthetic power steering fluid meets the GM specs.

Remove as much fluid as possible from the reservoir, and replace with GM spec.

With cap off and engine running, turn the wheels completely left/right to remove air bubbles.

------------------------------

1999 Olds GLS 3.4L

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carwreck
The power steering fluid needs to be GM spec 9985010, equivalent to GM part number 1052884 or 1050017

Older Prestone does not meet the GM power steering spec.

Valvoline SynPower synthetic power steering fluid meets the GM specs.

Remove as much fluid as possible from the reservoir, and replace with GM spec.

With cap off and engine running, turn the wheels completely left/right to remove air bubbles.

------------------------------

1999 Olds GLS 3.4L

+1 Then remove the fluid again keeping it above the level of the lines so you don't get air in the system. Repeat the procedure a few more times to get all the old fluid out. A 99 cent turkey baster works well. Don't over fill the system.

Agree with the extra flush, also it's not like your going to be putting a big dent quart so flush it three times, then after two or three days flush it once more.

Edit whoopsy daisy I didn't see that the even more flushing were already suggested. However I may have got an edge in somewhere by stating that it would not hurt to flush after driving around for a few days and at least one more flush.. use that quart of fluid up while your at it so you don't have to worry about it being a fluid problem again.

I have ran the Valvoline PSF and it's good stuff.

Last edited:
I think the Prestone power steering fluid is low quality. It seemed to make the pump noisy when i've used it. I use Valvoline and it seems to be acceptable. Did you see any signs of leaks anywhere, at the pump the lines or anywhere around the rack itself? As mentioned I would flush out and bleed the power steering fluid with spec fluid.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I have a big 100 ml syringe which should serve me well in removing the old fluid from the reservoir. I don't remember seeing Valvoline Synpower psf on the shelfes, only Valvoline Maxlife and regular white bottle Valvoline psf, as well as the Prestone fluid (red bottle which states it meets GM specs). Which one should I get?

Also no signs of leaks from what I saw.

Last edited:
Well you don't want Prestone psf again obviously. I haven't seen synpower psf or brake fluid for that matter anymore either. I don't think Valvoline carries those labels for psf and brake fluid anymore. I would use the white bottle psf which meets the specs like you said. The Maxlife psf has stop leak in it and I'm not a fan of that especially if you don't have any leaks. Maxlife ATF seems to be really good along with the motor oil, but I like the regular white bottle for psf. GM does market a cold climate psf that is probably synthetic or synthetic blend. It is probably quite a bit more expensive and the Valvoline white bottle should suffice. On the other hand the GM cold climate psf might not be a bad idea in South Dakota.

Last edited:
Well, I sucked out old fluid/refill with new fluid/start car and turn wheel a few times left and right but still fluid turned foamy. I repeated the process 4-5 times until I used up 1L bottle of Valvoline psf. Right after I refill the reservoir with new fluid (car not started yet) I can see air bubble rising up in the fresh fluid from an opening from inside the reservoir, so the air is coming from somewhere. There are no leaks and all tubing seems tight enough. Do I need to replace the pump?
Thanks

I wouldn't give up on bleeding the ps just yet. The recommended procedure is to jack the car's front wheels off the ground and with engine off turn the wheel lock to lock 20-40 times. You might have to really work at it to get the air out. I would continue trying to bleed the system and see if the air can be removed before replacing the pump. The air you are seeing bubbling back up through the reservoir is coming from the steering rack through the lines-the pressure line connects to the pump output and the return line hooks to the reservoir.

Last edited:
I will bleed it more this weekend, don't really have much time tomorrow or Friday. Do you think the car can be driven for the next two days, or will it cause more damage?

Last edited:
Once you get the air out of the system, I would then do fluid exchanges as I mentioned above. The trick is not to pump the reservior below the levels of the PS lines so you don't allow air into the system again. You can do extractions of fluid once a day after driving, twice a day, weekly, whatever you want. Do it after the system has been bled. You want to get as much of the old fluid out as possible.

Well that probably depends on how much air is in it and how much noise it is making. The system is somewhat self bleeding and should bleed some from driving. It doesn't bleed as well witrh the cap on though. But when you do bleed it that is the best procedure-jack the wheels up and engine off, turn the wheel full left and fill the system, then turn the wheel back and forth lock to lock 20-40 times until no more air bubbles.

My niece needs the car to go to school tomorrow, but school is only 2 miles away. I will tell her to drive it to school and back only for the next 2 days. Saturday I will attempt to bleed the ps properly. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back