Summary of cleaner data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is asummary of MSDS data plus other information I have gathered on forums. The MSDS shows max and min values for ingredients but I have also included what I think is a good guess for the actual percentage based on some math and logic. The Schaeffer's stuff is clearly different stuff so I didn't attempt to rank it relative to the others. The others are ranked based again on logic and opinion where PEA content is the top priority. I also gave preference to cleaners with a diversity of cleaning agents. Some of these clearly do not add up to 100%. Redline SI-1 and Amsoil PI probably have an ester based lubricant as the final ingredient so they are a cleaner and upper cylinder lubricant. I was surprised by the quality of both the 3M product and the Slick 50 product. The 3M product "probably" has the highest PEA content. The Slick 50 wins the contest for the most cleaning agents. BG 44K is an odd one. I "guessed" that the missing ingredient was PEA. But it is hard to estimate the percentage. However, I doubt it is more than 40% and most likely closer to 33%. Not really all that impressive for the price. If the PEA content is the optimistic guess then it comes in at #2. If not, it comes in much lower at #6.

http://i52.tinypic.com/eaqmue.jpg[/IMG]]FI Cleaners

Last edited:
Cool! Fun bunch of info you've pulled together there, and I like your presentation. I have one question, do you know if the msds you pulled for the Gumout Regane was for the older larger bottle, or the newer "2x concentrated" type?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Interesting and greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Completely agree, very nice work
thumbsup2.gif

If anyone has any suggestions as to adjusting my "guesses" let me know and I can repost this with adjusted values. One thing about Slick 50 is that I found two MSDSs for it and the newer one was a little different. I used the 2007 data assuming it was more accurate because it was more detailed and complete.

Oh, and one more comment. Based on this information, I would say that the 3M product, in high concentration (1oz per gallon?), is probably a good option as a once every 10-15K cleaning product and I think the Neutra is probably a good option as a maintenance product in low doses. I say that because of their claims of being able to neutralize acids as well as being a lubricant.

Originally Posted By: Huskymaniac
If anyone has any suggestions as to adjusting my "guesses" let me know and I can repost this with adjusted values. One thing about Slick 50 is that I found two MSDSs for it and the newer one was a little different. I used the 2007 data assuming it was more accurate because it was more detailed and complete.

Is the 2007 one the later of the two? Thanks for this detailed summary. Very informative and helpful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: keesue
Originally Posted By: Huskymaniac

Is the 2007 one the later of the two? Thanks for this detailed summary. Very informative and helpful.

No, 2010 is the latter of the two. But it was more vauge and difficult to decipher in terms of the amount of critical ingredients. It is possible that they changed the forumla though.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
Cool! Fun bunch of info you've pulled together there, and I like your presentation. I have one question, do you know if the msds you pulled for the Gumout Regane was for the older larger bottle, or the newer "2x concentrated" type?

There was a long debate on that awhile ago as, if my memory is correct, the makers of Regane also stripped the PEA content from the PDS around the same time, replacing it with something like "proprietary content" and leaving it for us to wonder. A member contacted them to ask if the PEA amount was reduced awhile ago, and according to their response to his query, it wasn't. It was hotly debated though.

I've used nothing but the new 2x concentrate, so I have no 1st person experience to compare it to the original formula this product data posted here is based on. I've used it several times, however, and each was pleased with the result. I also have a full bottle of Regane on my oil & additives shelves to try when the need arises and with which I can then compare it to by way of experience.

Kerosene is just the carrier for it, and I believe (and it is belief only), that when they reformulated it for the 2x concentrate, that it was the carrier that was changed (if only in amount) while the PEA is still there and in about the same quantity.

BTW, nice job to the OP of compiling all this info and putting it into one nice, easy to read post.

-Spyder

Forget the % of PEA content. You really want to tell the PEA content by grams (or oz) in the given bottle. Some bottles are 6 oz and some are 20 oz. The only way to really compare the PEA content is by the weight (or volume).

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Forget the % of PEA content. You really want to tell the PEA content by grams (or oz) in the given bottle. Some bottles are 6 oz and some are 20 oz. The only way to really compare the PEA content is by the weight (or volume).

- Vikas

That is true to a point. If PEA is all you are after, you need divide the price by the product of the volume and percentage. That would give you dollars per ounce of PEA. But one also has to consider the impact of the other "stuff". For example, if a product was 1% PEA an you wanted 5 ounces of PEA in your tank. You would need to put 500 ounces of the total product in the tank. Even if it were dirt cheap, what will the 495 ounces of the other stuff do?

I love Redline products but I wonder how much value the lubricant in SI-1 brings? In some sense, I would rather have PEA with a combination of Naptha, Napthalene, Alcohols, Toluene or Xylene and other various types of solvents.

You would have to dig around in the fuel additives section to find the info on it, but Mitsubishi sells through their parts department one of the strongest PEA cleaners out there, and it is formulated in a solvent based carrier. Its more expensive than the OTC stuff you can find at WM, but for those looking for one of the strongest (if not the strongest) PEA/solvent based fuel system cleaners out there, its the product I would look to.

My car gets a mild solvent & lubricant combo added every tank of gas (MMO & TC-W3, together, in the ratio I found to work best for my own engine), so an occasional (once or twice a year) cleaning with Regane or Redline is sufficient to ensure the fuel system stays clean.

-Spyder

Toyota sells a similar one with a nasty warning saying "don't leave it in the gas tank for more than a week!"

You need to mail order 3M to get good price. At stores (NAPA) it costs almost double than the other cleaners.

Toyota sells a similar one with a nasty warning saying "don't leave it in the gas tank for more than a week!"

Since the strong ones have warnings like that on them, it makes me wonder how safe it is to run one of the others listed in that chart, like regane, in a vehicle that goes through a tank in a month or two...

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2

Since the strong ones have warnings like that on them, it makes me wonder how safe it is to run one of the others listed in that chart, like regane, in a vehicle that goes through a tank in a month or two...

That is probably concerning. I would say the optimal approach is to run the car everyday until it at least comes up to normal operating temperature until the tank is down to at least 1/4 of a tank. Do you have any way to run that car more frequently for at least one tank of gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back