Do open bottles of brake fluid go bad sitting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: scott37300
Everything I read always says "use brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. So if I buy a bottle of brake fluid and only use half of it do I have to throw it away or can I put the cap back on and use the left over sometime later? I understand keeping junk out of it but is there a reason they always say "sealed"? Does it have to do with moisture or something? If so is there a way to store it to prevent moisture?

Thanks

Once the screw cap is put back on the bottle, the only moisture that can get into the bottle is what is already in there. The air will have some moisture from humidity unless it is below freezing. What little moisture is in the bottle should not deteriorate the fluid to a significant extent. To store a half full closed bottle for a few years will not hurt. You will get more water in your brake system by driving in the rain, then by storing a half full can for several years.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Next question is what does everyone do with their used brake fluid? I know there was a thread a while back about it and everyone seemed to have their own way of dealing with it. My local dump takes oil, trans, and antifreeze for free but not brake fluid. I haven't called yet but I don't think my advance takes it but I could be wrong. Is there somewhere that will take it? We have a "clean sweep" program once a year, not sure if brake fluid would fall into that catagory or not.

I mix it in a little at at time with waste oil, and take it to the local autoparts store for disposal. I don't generate much of it.

^ I do the same. It mixes fine, and in small quantities should be no problem for the recycling processes. Just don't add a ton, but 8 - 16 oz in 2 or so gallons of waste oil should be fine.

I just did a little research, and it looks like mixing it with waste oil is fine, as it's separated out when the oil is separated during the recycling process.

Originally Posted By: scott37300
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Next question is what does everyone do with their used brake fluid?

I take it to the quicky places. They probably dump it in to their oil tank, as I don't think they do brake jobs. All good- they have enough volume to disperse it pretty well I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back