What fuel stabilizer is best for OPE & generators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there have been many post about fuel stabilizers in the past. But the new blue Sta-Bil for marine use and also for ethanol gas has not been around that long.

I switched to the new blue Sta-Bil marine for the gasoline stored for the generator. However, there are some people using Seafoam as a fuel stabilizer.

Also, I assume that there would be no problem when I rotate stock of the stored gas by using it in a car, but have not seen anything specific about the marine Sta-Bil not causing any problems when used in a car engine.

Any thoughts as to what fuel stabilizer is best for small engines now-days?

I have always used SeaFoam for both my bike and all my small engines. I guess I have no scientific proof to back up its performance but I have never had any trouble with any of my machines (that would point to bad gas as the issue)

The question is what is the mechanism? Is seafoam "good" just because it is a solvent on any junk that may form in a carbuerator, or does it really stabilize the fuel?

Seems to me that stabil is designed to prevent side-reactions within the fuel and support the ethanol-water mixture from going bad or dropping out. Id trust that over what seems to me to be a solvent that is similar to what Id use to dissolve deposits in my carb if they ever formed.

Now that may be a good thing, but until I understand why, Im going to say that seafoam doesnt to me seem to solve the root issue.

JHZR2 hit it on the head. Stabil has antioxidants..hindered phenols that are sacrificial molecules that oxidize more readily than the gas molecules they are protecting. Solvents just dissolve crud. I am unaware of Seafoam or any other solvent additive of that nature containg such antioxidants which is what you want.

The antioxidants are, however, consumed over time which is why something like Stabil will say "protects for up to X months". You must realize that ethanol can slowly be converted over to acetic acid which is the mechanism for wine turning to vinegar. This needs to be prevented at all costs in your fuel system! Only an antioxidant, not a solvent, will prevent such an oxidation from occurring.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Been using this for years with great results (that means no problems at all)

Amsoil AST

+1. Me too. I also like the use of 2-stroke oil as an add because they often (hopefully always but who knows in the case of say, WM oil) contain a stabilizer.

Unfortunately the stabiliuzers also have shelf life issues it seems.

i use two stroke oil in all my small engines. a tip from a small engine mechanic, it doesnt hurt anything and you only have to have one gas can. sometimes that gas sits for a good six months in the garage and never gives me a problem.
another tip he gave me was fill the tank all the way up for winter storage.

I've actually considered using a quality 2-cycle oil in a last run of the season in my OPE motors. Maybe mix it a little on the thin side compared to a "normal" 2 cycle mix. Say maybe Redline or Amsoil 2 cycle mix at 60 to 80:1. Run it a couple of minutes then shutdown and drain the fuel system. Seems like you'd leave a light oil film on everything that might be useful. I'd really suggest not leaving fuel of any sort in the system regardless of fuel stabilizer is the best route.

If you're concerned about keeping fuel on hand, just keep your vehicles full when the weather is threatening and make sure you have some way to safely drain fuel from those tanks.

I don't think I personally would run a 2-cycle mix full time in a 4-cycle engine unless it was a really thin mix (maybe 100:1 or more). But that's just me, you sound like you've had good luck with it.

I wonder if Seafoam might be better with respect to the coating it leaves behind inside of the carb when the carb is run dry at the end of use?

Some say that if some gas is left in the cab after running it dry, Sta-Bil (the original orange) will leave a thick orange gel.

Also if that is the case, would the new dark blue Sta-Bil be better at not doing this?

in my opinion, running whatever stabilizer you choose and running it long enough to get into carb is much better idea than running the carb dry w or wo stabilizer

For what it's worth, i just busted out my honda hs520 snowblower today, for the first time in two years. When it was put up, it was left with used oil in it, and a 1/2 full gas tank. Fuel line was left open so the carb was wet. I wasn't sure the two year old gas would even start it but it worked perfectly. Used it for about 20-30 minutes and it never skipped a beat! It didn't look or smell too good and im sure it was ethanol blend.

If i had it to do over i wouldn't have left the poor thing like that. It got an oil change and new gas today after i was done.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I wonder if Seafoam might be better with respect to the coating it leaves behind inside of the carb when the carb is run dry at the end of use?

Some say that if some gas is left in the cab after running it dry, Sta-Bil (the original orange) will leave a thick orange gel.

Also if that is the case, would the new dark blue Sta-Bil be better at not doing this?

Well, there's really no reason to leave hardly any fuel in the carb bowl. Just drain the tank and run the motor till it exhausts the fuel in the carb. There will be very little left behind.

I wouldn't go to too much extreme when putting away a lawn mower or other lawn equipment, but a generator is a special case. If you get an ice storm and the power goes out, you really want to be pretty confident that that generator will crank without too much trouble. On the other hand, if the lawn mower doesn't crank for the first cutting of the season, so what. If it takes you an afternoon to get it going that's not so much of a deal, and you'll be working in relatively warm weather to boot.

I use the OMC 2+4 fuel conditioner, it is second to none as a fuel stabilizer and it cleans carbs like none other, its pricey but once you use it you'll never understand how you lived without it in 2 cycle engines....

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/0775614/2%2B4+FUEL+CONDITIONER+Johnson+-+Evinrude+-+OMC+0775614.html

Seafoam does advertise its product as a fuel stabilzer. I have alot of toys, that sit for awhile, months, if not years. I have tried Stabil and its good over the winter( I am from PA) but about 3 months is tops. Since I have started using Seafoam, I have had 0 problems 6 months or more. I have not had to clean the jets on one machine. If you go to their site, they tell you how farmers use it to stabilize off season equipment.

I've been using a marine stabilizer for the last 5 years.
Zero problems in saws, lawn equip, snowmobiles, etc. .
Sierra brand for the last 3 yr. . No issues in a saw that sat for 2 yrs .
2 stroke oil is not a stabilizer. You should have seen the green algae that grew in my sled carbs. back in the early '80's in my pre mix sled motors. And that was with the old "good" gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back