Motul 3000 series with Calcium sulphonate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from Australia Gentlemen, I am new to your forum and love the information exchange! I have a Kawasaki 900 that i want to use this oil in but i like to add extra Zinc for camshaft protection etc, I not too sure if Zinc mixes suitably with calcium sulphonate! ANY help is greatly appreciated.
Kt,
Emu Plains,
Australia.

It's generally accepted by the experts here, that aftermarket additives such as zinc rich ZDDP are not ideal. It's better, by far to purchase the oil that is well engineered for your needs.

That said, what's the zinc and phos level in your oil. Mobil 1 MX4t Motorcycle oil (10-40 and 20-50 are the 2 available in the states) have upwards of 1600 PPM Zinc and Phos.

Also, it's generally accepted that 1200 ppm is enough, and more won't help.

I almost forgot to answer your question. Calcium sulphonate is used in many oils along with ZDDP. I can't answer whether your additive will mix properly with the oil and perform properly. But, the two are used together regularly.

Thanks for the update. "Apparently" Motul 3000 has 800ppm so i added enough to bring it up to around 1800ppm which i will run for first 100 miles only as an aid to camshaft break in (new flat tappet cams) as recommended by camshaft supplier, then i will swap over to Rotella or similar.

thanks again,
Kt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back