AMSOIL SYNTHETIC GEAR LUBE RECOMMENDATION

Status
Not open for further replies.
To The Amsoil Reps:

I am wanting to use Amsoil gear lube in my Honda Valkyrie's shaft drive - is there any difference between the Severe Gear 75-90 verses the Synthetic 80W-90 Gear Lube?

Recommendation?

Thanks,

RevRider

Originally Posted By: RevRider
To The Amsoil Reps:

I am wanting to use Amsoil gear lube in my Honda Valkyrie's shaft drive - is there any difference between the Severe Gear 75-90 verses the Synthetic 80W-90 Gear Lube?

Recommendation?

Thanks,

RevRider

First the viscosity differences. The Severe Gear is more viscous when hot and flows better when cold. Also it's more shear stable. Then the additive package - the Severe Gear has a more modern EP additive package.

Also take a look at the SVT 75W-110. It's closer to the original 90 initially specified. I would use it in So Cal.

Amsoil SVT 75W-110

Hi Pablo,

My shaft is spec'd for 80/90 GL5 - so the Severe Gear is a more robust fluid over Amsoil's 80/90?

Revrider

Hi Pablo,

My shaft is spec'd for 80/90 GL5 - so the Severe Gear is a more robust fluid over Amsoil's 80/90?

Revrider

Yes, but the 75W-110 is even a better match, because of the general unawareness by MC/car mfr's of the API Gear Oil viscosity specification change. The 100 deg. C viscosity of the SAE 110 is closer to the old SAE 90 spec.

Its a motorcycle!

and I know, that syn gear lubes have really calmed down the gear noise. I would say....if it meets the spec's severe gear lube just might be the ticket.

Last edited:
I would recommend the AGL. Its a high uality 80W-90 Synthetic replacement for any GL4/GL5 conventional gear lubes.

You won't see any advantageous in the Severe Gear in a M/C. The SVG is primarily recommended for 4x4 trucks, off-road driving, heavy hauling etc. Not that you cannot use it, its just the AGL is more appropriate for the M/C.

I have sold quite a bit of this to the local bike shop and other M/C customers and they like it. Most of the time its a life time fill.

To The Amsoil Reps:

Recommendation?

Thanks,

Use close to what the mfg states...in my eyes, a 75w-140 is way to thick in a little 3/4" shaft bike app.

Originally Posted By: snowmaker
To The Amsoil Reps:

Recommendation?

Thanks,

Use close to what the mfg states...in my eyes, a 75w-140 is way to thick in a little 3/4" shaft bike app.

Yep. That's exactly why I recommended 75W-110. It's the closest to what the mfg calls for.

use the 75w-90 an skip what the Amsoil dealers says..It is not needed.

Do you honestly understand SAE J306?

Because if you did, you would understand that a gear oil with 20.3cSt@100 deg C is well within the recommended viscosity max of 24cSt. A great viscosity for the application and climate.

I honestly am starting to wonder about the quality of the advice given here sometimes. I guess it's the internet, reader beware.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Because if you did, you would understand that a gear oil with 20.3cSt@100 deg C is well within the recommended viscosity max of 24cSt. A great viscosity for the application and climate.

I honestly am starting to wonder about the quality of the advice given here sometimes. I guess it's the internet, reader beware.

Have you? I have a copy in front of me.

My point is I would use a 75w-90 and the others are not needed(in most apps). I have yet to see a dealer, Silkolene, Maxima etc push anything outside of 75w-90 or 80-90 for these fluids...Based on another forum Amsoil Tech dept said NOT to use anything higher then 75w-90 in shaft applications. I agree I wonder about advice on the net, sales people etc.

My point is I would use a 75w-90 and the others are not needed(in most apps). I have yet to see a dealer, Silkolene, Maxima etc push anything outside of 75w-90 or 80-90 for these fluids...Based on another forum Amsoil Tech dept said NOT to use anything higher then 75w-90 in shaft applications. I agree I wonder about advice on the net, sales people etc.

So - what is the viscosity range of the SAE 90 originally recommended, per your chart?

BTW I'm not saying 75W-90 won't work, just that 75W-110 will protect better, especially in a warm climate.

So - what is the viscosity range of the SAE 90 originally recommended, per your chart?

BTW I'm not saying 75W-90 won't work, just that 75W-110 will protect better, especially in a warm climate.

Did you read the spec? I think not. Yea I know what visc ranges are and I am just saying, Amsoil Tech dept, other bike dealers and other oil people will NOT reccomend anything higher then 80w-90.

You could be right or not, how do you know it WILL protect better? That is a guess.

So - what is the viscosity range of the SAE 90 originally recommended, per your chart?BTW I'm not saying 75W-90 won't work, just that 75W-110 will protect better, especially in a warm climate.

Is not the top of 90w =Cst of 24?

The original question centered around severe gear 75w90 being more robust...I say yes stay with the 90W.My disclaimer is : I am not a trained qualified Amsoil master of lubes....just an old trucker
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

The original question centered around severe gear 75w90 being more robust...I say yes stay with the 90W.My disclaimer is : I am not a trained qualified Amsoil master of lubes....just an old trucker
smile.gif

Don't need to be, just need to absorb more BITOGness.

This chart does a good job:

http://www.lubrizol.com/J306.aspx?id=33216&terms=J306

So by saying 90w = cSt of 24, you be speaking of the old J306 and I am speaking of new SAE 110, which is cSt = 24. So really you agree with me!!

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2

smile.gif

Don't need to be, just need to absorb more BITOGness.

This chart does a good job:

http://www.lubrizol.com/J306.aspx?id=33216&terms=J306

So by saying 90w = cSt of 24, you be speaking of the old J306 and I am speaking of new SAE 110, which is cSt = 24. So really you agree with me!!

There is more to this spec the what lub has on the net..

Both the old and the new charts have a minimum of 13.5 cst for 90 weight so they aren't too worried about it being too thin. They seem to be more worried about being to thick. They don't want you putting some 41cst in there so thats why they call for the 90 weight. Just what they call for in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back