First OC wife's car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whereas I've always done the oil changes on my truck, my wife would usually take her car to the dealership or Quickie Lube to get an oil change. She drives an '05 Grand Am with a V6 and about 96,000 miles. I went with a 5w-30 PP and a slightly oversize Fleetguard LF3554 filter. I'm hoping the synthetic oil will help clean out the engine a little and that I'll be able to do a longer drain interval. How long a drain interval do you think I could manage safely?

Can't really tell without profile of her driving habits.

Have you done a UOA to verify there isn't a coolant issue? I believe the 3.1L is prone to this issue and I wouldn't be extending the OC until you have this checked out.

Others may chime in with more details.

with 95k on an 05 (if she is the orig owner) then she drives quite a bit and I'd run 5-8k on PP. Also change the coolant, and if you ever notice a drop in the coolant level, you like have a leaking intake manifold gasket.

She drives pretty easy. It never sees the red line. We no longer live near the dealership she took it to but I might try and call them and see if they can provide the service history because they kept right up with the maintenance. I imagine it will take quite awhile to accumulate even 8,000 miles.

With low annual miles, just change once a year.

PP is a stout oil, and can do 6-10k in a year w/o issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back