Tire Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ronrackley

What's the big deal about equalizing wear? My way, I get to stagger the cash outlay for tires when they are replaced two at a time. A set of tires gets the same total number of miles over time. What's not to like?

How about the get 4 tires for the price of 3 offers?

Originally Posted By: ronrackley
I never rotate tires just to be rotating them. I let them wear in place and I think they stay "happy" that way. The front tires wear faster than the rear on front wheel drive cars, so they get replaced first from new - and then when the rear wear down and get replaced I move the front tires back to the rear, same sides, and put the new tires on the front. Next time, they will all wear down to where they need to be replaced at the same time.

What's the big deal about equalizing wear? My way, I get to stagger the cash outlay for tires when they are replaced two at a time. A set of tires gets the same total number of miles over time. What's not to like?

Great, so long as you're sure you're going to use the same tires throughout this whole cycle. Or, for that matter, that they'll even be available.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Two problems with that approach actually...

1. The best tread should always be mounted on the back for safety. This approach will end up with the best tires on the front and a car with strong oversteer potential

Ref: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=52

2. if you've got an AWD, the difference in wear will fry the AWD system. My Volvo, for example, requires that the tread depth be within 2/32" on all 4 tires...
Ref: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

Best to rotate and keep all 4 wearing evenly, then replace all 4. If you have to go 2 at a time, then put the new pair on the rear...it's a safety issue...

Thank you for the links. The first one is going to change the way I do things. If Michelin says it, I believe it. Although I haven't had any problem with the best tires on the front, it makes sense to take every advantage or safety even if it is a small advantage.

I still don't believe that rotation is necessary, but I'm going to always have the newer tires put on the rear from here on out when I buy new tires.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
How do you do it? Front to back, back to front? X-patter? front to back, cross the back to front?
Depends on a lot of variables.

1. RWD, 4WD, AWD with non directional tires-fronts criss cross to the rear. Rears go straight up to the front.
2. RWD, 4WD, AWD with directional tires. Front and rears switch positions on the same side of the vehicle.

1. FWD with non directional tires-rears criss cross to the front. Fronts go straight back to the rear.
2. FWD with directional tires-fronts and rears switch positions on the same side of the vehicle.

MISC-any vehicle with differently sized fronts and rears can only switch front to front left to right and rear to rear left to right if the tires are non directional. If directional, no rotation can be performed unless you want to roll around with the tires facing the wrong direction.

Regardless of what kind of tires or vehicle you have, the tires should be rotated every 5K miles for best tire life and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back