Sumitomo Tires - Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the HTR 200 on mom's corolla, seems to be a big improvement over the original Chinese Wynstar Phaser R23 (T rated, A traction, A temperature, 360 Trendwear).

So far they are performing well and significantly improved handling, but I don't think it is going to last more than 40k miles.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
...Chinese Wynstar Phaser R23...

The whaaaaaaa?
54.gif

Is that a tire?
21.gif

205/55/16 Goodyear eagle gt's can be found for about 95 dollars per tire. All things considered one of the best tires on the market. In this case and others like it if you have the extra 100 bucks to spare would be money well spent.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
...Chinese Wynstar Phaser R23...

The whaaaaaaa?
54.gif

Is that a tire?
21.gif

Yes, it is actually pretty good (better than OEM Goodyear Invicta)

http://www.google.com/products?q=Wynstar+Phaser+tire&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=yIxDTNS2CIP0swOf0PCODA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CDoQzAMwAg

I recently replaced the OE Michelins on my '07 Grand Prix after 50,000 miles. Went with the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01. Price was a factor. Vey quiet ride and no complaints after 2,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
I recently replaced the OE Michelins on my '07 Grand Prix after 50,000 miles. Went with the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01. Price was a factor. Vey quiet ride and no complaints after 2,000 miles.

What size tire?

I stayed with the stock size, 225-55-17.
The Michelins held up well and still had 4/32s on the fronts. The rears had a little less but had severe inner wear and a nail in each.

Unfortunately, 2,000 miles isn't enough time or miles to provide a well rounded opinion.

Let us know next spring, after you survive a winter on those tires...

Tire Rack recently did a comparison of the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1 tires and they liked them...ranked them tied for 1st of 4 tested in their category (high-performance all season...others were the new Firestone Precision Sport, Michelin Pilot Exalto and Yokohama Envigor). They particularly praised their quietness and smooth ride. The pricing is right and I'm tempted to try a set on my Accord but am leary of their snow traction (still leaning to the Hankook Optimo H727 which is a lower performance T-rated all season but also very smooth and quiet and great in the slippery stuff). Sumitomo may be making a comeback with their new models...time will tell.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Tire Rack recently did a comparison of the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1 tires and they liked them...ranked them tied for 1st of 4 tested in their category (high-performance all season...others were the new Firestone Precision Sport, Michelin Pilot Exalto and Yokohama Envigor). They particularly praised their quietness and smooth ride. The pricing is right and I'm tempted to try a set on my Accord but am leary of their snow traction (still leaning to the Hankook Optimo H727 which is a lower performance T-rated all season but also very smooth and quiet and great in the slippery stuff). Sumitomo may be making a comeback with their new models...time will tell.

Not here in MI, I wouldn't.

I recently did the same with my '05 Mazda6 - size 215/50/17. I have found the HTR A/S P01s to be much quieter and smoother than the OE Michelins with straighter tracking over road irregularities plus better wet weather traction.

Last edited:

Are they manufactured in China? How have they performed in snow?

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Tire Rack recently did a comparison of the Sumitomo HTR A/S PO1 tires and they liked them...ranked them tied for 1st of 4 tested in their category (high-performance all season...others were the new Firestone Precision Sport, Michelin Pilot Exalto and Yokohama Envigor). They particularly praised their quietness and smooth ride................Sumitomo may be making a comeback with their new models...time will tell.

FWIW, Consumer Reports tested the 18" W speed rated version, and rated them second overall, ahead of the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus, and behind the Pirelli P Zero Nero AS. Half the price of the Michelin!

Originally Posted By: Axe Man

The new tires are Goodrich Touring T/A Pro Series.

So how you liking the BFG's? I had them in 215/60R15 and the sidewalls cracked on one at about 5 years old. Only had 32k miles on them. Tread was wearing well and even and id only rotated them once at 4 years and 22k miles. I ended up with another set. They dont seem remarkably better than the ones that came off, so I guess that means they wear well, if the sun doesnt beat them up first. I've found that they are pretty sticky even in rain. Ill probably get them in 205/70R15 too, but sears tried to sell me the Sumitomo HTR. I'll pass on those I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back