9mm Ruger jammed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went out last weekend to fire through a box and got a jam. I haven't shot it in about 3 months or so and cleaned it after last firing it.

It was a FTF, it looked like the tip of the bullet was caught on the feeder ramp. Exactly the problem I was having with my Phoenix Arms .22lr pistol.

It has been in my car the whole time since last shooting and got a thorough cleaning with RemOil. I wipe down practically all metal with oil when I clean.

Is this somehow my fault, or do guns just jam, or is my P95 still breaking in. I only have about 200-300 rounds through it.

I now have Hoppe's on my gun and it is much more viscous.

Seems like it will hold up over time better with the Hoppe's.

Sounds like you may be over oiling it. Follow Ruger's recommendations for oiling.

Rem-Oil is terrible. It will dry up and leave your gun unlubricated. Don't use it for anything other than cleaning. Rem-oil is probably why your gun jammed.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I went out last weekend to fire through a box and got a jam. I haven't shot it in about 3 months or so and cleaned it after last firing it.

It was a FTF, it looked like the tip of the bullet was caught on the feeder ramp. Exactly the problem I was having with my Phoenix Arms .22lr pistol.

It has been in my car the whole time since last shooting and got a thorough cleaning with RemOil. I wipe down practically all metal with oil when I clean.

Is this somehow my fault, or do guns just jam, or is my P95 still breaking in. I only have about 200-300 rounds through it.

I now have Hoppe's on my gun and it is much more viscous.

Seems like it will hold up over time better with the Hoppe's.

mjoeking28,

If you had just one FTF it doesn't mean your in any trouble. Any auto-pistol can have a FTF anytime including my Beretta, Taurus, 1911 45 or even Sig's!!! Allot of the issues are related to the magazines you use so perhaps the mag tube needs to be cleaned or the lips of the mag is slightly weak or has a crack. Check those our and replace them if necessary.

By your description my guess is you magazine spring may be weak and not shoving the rounds into the lip fast enough. I'd clean it and try to isolate wether it happens during slow or fast fire.

Durango

I've learned that the things to look for when a weapon malfunctions (unless obvious) are usually in this order: dirt, ammo, and then the parts of the firearm.

So, if it's clean (including the magazine) and properly lubed (not too little but definetly not too much = basically, just not dry), check the ammunition. Semi Automatic firearms generally work "best" with round nosed type ammunition as opposed to some hollow point or flat point types, however, some will work with any nose configuration and some (MOST) will work with almost any nose configuration. Also, it has to be of sufficient power to cycle the action...if it's a little weak and/or a poor grip is thrown in, then a failure to feed is usually the result. If the ammo is up to par, then look for worn or broken parts. Of course, defects are also possible with the ammo or weapon.

The grip of the semi automatic pistol is also important = you have to have a firm firing grip (not death grip) and not let your wrist "break" during recoil. Usually, steel framed pistols are more forgiving than lighter framed pistols.

All that being said, a Ruger P95 is usually a good working pistol. I'd be more inclined that it was ammunition related. Try some different ammunition and see what happens. Try a few different brands and/or weights (115,124,147)and find what it/you like the best.

I have a full electroless nickel plated SIG P228 that I bought right after Bill Clinton threw the gun industry on its head in 1993-94. I've shot THOUSANDS of rounds of 9mm through it. I've limp wristed it in severe ways, turned it upside down and sideways. All kinds of crazy stuff trying to get it to malfunction. I convinced myself that this gun simply WILL NOT JAM in any situation. I beacame very confident in it and regarded it as my go-to when the [censored] hits the fan.
One day about 6 years ago I cleaned and oiled it with Rem-Oil. I liked the way it smells. I didn't shoot it for a year and a half or so. Got a wild hair and decided to take it to the range. I didn't relubricate it since I put it away. I had a series of jams. I was horrified! This was the gun I always bragged to my buddies about. Thousands of rounds and not a single jam even when trying to provoke one. I was beside myself. Took the gun home an began a teardown to determine the cause. I ran a q-tip down the long slide rails of the SIG... and it came out dry as a popcorn [censored]. The only thing there was a little black powdery carbon fouling with black skid marks. Zero lubricant. The Rem-oil had simply EVAPORATED and left behind nothing to lubricate the gun. I was sure I found my problem.
I just added a little bit of simple oil of some sort. Don't remember what. Took it back to the range the next day and shot 100 rounds and limp wristed it and whatnot and didn't have a single malfunction.
I quit using Rem-oil. I've shot hundreds of rounds since and have not had any more problems.

Last edited:
Rem-Oil is a solvent. Not a Lubricant.
It cleans relatively well.

Go get some Break-Free CLP or something like it and lube your gun properly then go and have some fun.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Rem-Oil is a solvent. Not a Lubricant.
It cleans relatively well.

Go get some Break-Free CLP or something like it and lube your gun properly then go and have some fun.

Better let Remington know.

Quote:
Exclusive Teflon formula provides a thin, long-lasting film that keeps actions working smoothly by reducing metal-to-metal wear

And from the MSDS;

Quote:
THIN FILM LUBRICANT

It is a lubricant and for most things it works well. But it does not replace grease or other oils.

All depends on the application.

Take care, Bill

What ammo (specifically?)
What magazine?

What did you do when it jammed? Did you try and narrow the cause down? Did you keep shooting it as it was or did you change something? We need more info.

Last edited:
The problem with CLP's is that they do each marginally.

If it sits in a car, I'd take it out and relube monthly.

Clean your gun with a cleaner. Lube it with grease or oil. Store it with a corrosion inhibiting protectant. Mixing all three together doesn't mean it'll work perfectly and thats what most CLPs are, imperfect.

I just unloaded a magazine and when I'd slip a round out the front of the bullet underneath would kind of stay down. Toward the end of unloading the clip, they finally started snapping out as I suppose they should.

Maybe I didn't somehow break the clip in correctly. When the gun (and clips) were new (about 6 months ago) I used the loader and struggled to fill the clip to capacity since it was so tight. Now it seems very loose and a light spring, but I dunno?

Take the magazine apart and clean all of it's parts...make sure there is no rust inside. You want very little lubricant left inside the magazine body so that it won't attract dirt...I use WD-40 to clean my mags with and whatever film it leaves is plenty...put a thin film of oil (motor oil is fine) on the spring itself.

If you have the temptation to stretch the spring, don't - that will weaken it. Unless the mag is damaged (bent) or the spring has gotten too weak from heavy use, it should work smoothly. Since it is only six months old, the spring should be fine unless you load and unload it constantly, unless the spring wasn't tempered right to start with. I've got some new mag springs on hand if needed..but Ruger may send you a new one for free if your problem isn't dirt or damage related.

+1^. Check to make sure that follower is not bent (the part that sits on the spring) as well. Make sure that magazine lips are not bent.

PS You have problems with a magazine, not a clip. Clip holds the cartridges that are fed into the magazine (think M1 Garand rifle with its built-in magazine). Off the top of my head I can not think of any modern pistols that use clips.

You Ruger magazine holds cartridges (or rounds in military-speak), not bullets. Bullets come out of the barrel of the gun after you fire it.
A modern center-fire round is made out of a bullet, a case (or casing or brass), propellant (or powder) and a primer.

I agree, sounds like a magazine issue.

I have also found that my P95 doesn't like anything lighter than 125 grain...anything lighter and it won't cycle the slide properly (although I have not tried +Ps yet). Bullet configuration (RN, SWC, HP, FMJ, etc) don't seen to affect anything.

One of my pistols will jam just like the original post with HP ammunition. FMJ feeds just fine.

The issue is with the design of the feed ramp. With the angle that the rounds are fed, there is no enough curvature on the tip of the HP bullet to smoothly slide into the barrel. So I only use FMJ in that one.

I think we all can agree that correct or not, the word "clip" and "magazine" became synonmys with one another long before most of us were born. The very men who were using these rifles in battle still called any kind of feeding device a "clip" as newer magazine fed rifles replaced the old fixed box magazine loaded by a clip. I doubt there has ever been a time where someone was confused by what someone was talking about when they asked for or were talking about a magazine but refered to it as a "Clip". You can see this in Military manuals of the era as well as older Colt firearms owner/operator manuals

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
+1^. Check to make sure that follower is not bent (the part that sits on the spring) as well. Make sure that magazine lips are not bent.

PS You have problems with a magazine, not a clip. Clip holds the cartridges that are fed into the magazine (think M1 Garand rifle with its built-in magazine). Off the top of my head I can not think of any modern pistols that use clips.

You Ruger magazine holds cartridges (or rounds in military-speak), not bullets. Bullets come out of the barrel of the gun after you fire it.
A modern center-fire round is made out of a bullet, a case (or casing or brass), propellant (or powder) and a primer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back