New: Motul 8100 X-max 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe this oil is relatively new. The datasheet is marked as 08/10 and I'm still not seeing this for sale in many places yet. Motul dropped their older 0w40s a while back and replaced them with 0w30s. But as OEMs move towards 0w40 I guess there's a market for this.

They claim this is for "last generation cars". Recommended for high output engines requiring a lubricant with high HTHS (> 3.5 mPa.s) viscosity and "Mid SAPS" with reduced content of sulfated ash (< 0.8%), phosphorus (0.07 < x < 0.09%) and sulphur (< 0.3%). Compatible with catalytic converters and Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF). Suitable also for any type of fuels, unleaded or leaded Gasoline, Diesel and LPG.

API SM/CF
ILSAC GF-4
FORD M2C WSS 937 A (FORD FOCUS RS 2.5 Duratec)

KV @ 40C = 74.9
KV @ 100C = 13.3
HTHS = 3.58
VI = 182
Pour = -49 F
Flash = 432 F
Sulfated ash: 0.80%
TBN: 7.0

From what I can see, this is their first SM oil. They're targeting cars with 0w40 factory fill like Nissan, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Ford.

I'm not sure what to think of this oil.

What's not to like?
Has a decent VI.
One comment I will make is that it is the lightest 40wt I've seen for a while.
I suspect it's more expensive than M1 0W-40 and that could be a strike against it.

Well it costs about double what Mobil 1 0w40 is and really doesn't offer much except the ester content and *slightly* thinner viscosity. TBN is lower, HTHS is lower, and it carries very few OEM approvals.

Only 0w40s that are lighter than this are Castrol Edge Sport and Mobil 1.

Right; I am talking the KV values, though you're correct in that the HTHS is more representative. Edge Sport 0w40 is 3.6 HTHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back