Fuel additives real deal or just snake oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done a far amount of resurch on fule aditives and I was surprised at how much I read clamed they are for the most part useless and even possibly harmfull. All I would be interested in would be a fuel additive that will ligitimately clean my injectors and valves at a significantly higher amount than just detergent fuel alone will.

Is there any scientific results out there that backs up any products claims when it comes to cleaning a engines fuel injection system and related engine parts?

Thanks,
Arthur.

I think gasoline dryer (which is wood alcohol) is OK for freezing winter temperatures to stop ice plugging up the fuel lines. Other additives methinks are not needed for the most part.

It is my understanding that a good additive is one that contains polyether amine (PEA). A few that come to mind off the top of my head that contain PEA are Techron, Regane, BG 44K, and Redline has a product as well but I can't recall it's name. I've read that the formula for 44K was changed some time ago and may no longer contain PEA, but I don't believe it's confirmed.

Edit to add: You should do your own research of course, but you may find this link helpful.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/Article/39614/bad_gas_update.aspx

Last edited:
Yes, PEA's are quite effective. I use FP60 in my muscle cars exclusively. They do not have fuel injection and I use it to keep the intake valves clean--which it does. John--Las Vegas.

I've found Redline's fuel system cleaner to be very effective. What's nice is it also contains a UCL and can be used as a maint dose in every tank of gas if you decide to.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I think gasoline dryer (which is wood alcohol) is OK for freezing winter temperatures to stop ice plugging up the fuel lines. Other additives methinks are not needed for the most part.

I understand that "gasoline dryer" is not recommended if fuel already contains Ethanol.

Originally Posted By: ARTJR338WM
I have done a far amount of resurch on fule aditives and I was surprised at how much I read clamed they are for the most part useless and even possibly harmfull. All I would be interested in would be a fuel additive that will ligitimately clean my injectors and valves at a significantly higher amount than just detergent fuel alone will.

Is there any scientific results out there that backs up any products claims when it comes to cleaning a engines fuel injection system and related engine parts?

Thanks,
Arthur.

As others have posted, PEA based cleaners such as Redline, Techron, and Regane are all proven fuel system cleaners.

OEMs, such as Mitsubishi, even sell PEA cleaners under their own label to their dealer service and parts department. These are generally intended to be used both in-house and sold to customers. I believe Mitsubishi has the strongest one (highest concentration of PEA), though the alternatives mentioned are all effective, and cheaper.

-Spyder

Last edited:
The ones with PEA are quite effective, as others have stated. Certain automobile manufacturers even sell and use them in their maintenance procedures to clean fuel system components, so that has to mean something.

Also, I had a 97 Voyager that would not start on day in the winter. I added HEET, and viola! took the frozen moisture out of the fuel and started right up! Saved my butt!

Don't forget Amsoil PI with lots of PEA as well. I use it every couple years, and it does kick by MPG up a tad, then it slowly drifts down, then PI again and MPG jumps back up. That has to be deposits forming.....

I read that all gasolines come from a refiner and are then sold to the top tier and economy sellers/distributors alike. The thing that makes them different is the additives or lack thereof that are pumped into the tanker which is blended along with the 'generic' gasoline. Shell, Esso, Chevron, Union 76 etc. all have their additives but the gasoline itself is generic gasoline.

If true, then additives are what make the differences in fuel. I have been very impressed with fuel system cleaners, MMO and TC-W3 particularly in my old Turbo Volvo. In my case, they work and make all the difference in how the engine performs.

Originally Posted By: keesue
I read that all gasolines come from a refiner and are then sold to the top tier and economy sellers/distributors alike. The thing that makes them different is the additives or lack thereof that are pumped into the tanker which is blended along with the 'generic' gasoline. Shell, Esso, Chevron, Union 76 etc. all have their additives but the gasoline itself is generic gasoline.

If true, then additives are what make the differences in fuel. .

I believe you are correct. That's why I stay clear of the no name and Walmart/Costco types of fuels. I use top tier fuels 99% of the time.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
If they are useless, why are they in all gasolines, and esp in Top Tier fuels?

Perhaps a better question would be if fuel additives are necessary if all one uses is top tier fuel.

I feel that top tier gas that has additives may assist keeping the system cleaner compared to non-top tier gas, but as engines age and rack up the miles, wear, it might not always be enough. That's why some vehicles have the fuel system cleaned at manufacturer recommended intervals. And adding a good dose of PEA helps clean what just the gas alone won't.

I can let the rain wash my SUV, but every now and then I need to give it a better scrubbing. Or in the case of today, instead of dusting around the engine compartment with an air nozzle (hey, I was bored), I hit most of the top end with a steam cleaner.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I feel that top tier gas that has additives may assist keeping the system cleaner compared to non-top tier gas, but as engines age and rack up the miles, wear, it might not always be enough. That's why some vehicles have the fuel system cleaned at manufacturer recommended intervals. And adding a good dose of PEA helps clean what just the gas alone won't.

I can let the rain wash my SUV, but every now and then I need to give it a better scrubbing. Or in the case of today, instead of dusting around the engine compartment with an air nozzle (hey, I was bored), I hit most of the top end with a steam cleaner.

+1. I'll add that although I use top tier and like that it has additives added, I don't think they are present in enough concentration for a diet of strictly top tier gas alone to keep things clean inside. That's where PEA cleaners are handy a couple times a year (I think you are making this point too), depending on how the vehicle is used and how many miles get racked up.

I also like adding a UCL (or in my case, a combination of 2 together) to offset the dryness of the ethanol content present in even top tier gas and to keep the upper cylinder and fuel pump lubed. The added cost is negligible and I believe the benefits are real. The small 1-2 mpg gain it gives is hard to prove, but I'm adding it less for mileage improvement (that simply offsets the small added cost of them) and more for consistent fuel system lubrication and cleanliness.

-Spyder

Problem is this forum/post is full of word of mouth and no tests that prove it.

I understand that Redline,Amsoil, Car Manufactures use PEA and they are no dummies but I would really love to see some test.

My favorite fuel additives include (in no particular order) MMO, seafoam, regane. Although some people are quick to label products snake oil, they do it without any basis, other than they don't like the mfg's claims. There are a few users here on BITOG who are quick to deride any additive at all, and sometimes go so far as to say they will void your warrantee. You can take such advice however you want. My experience as a user of these products is that they are not snake oil. A smoother running engine is a little hard to quantify, so I'm not concerned with testing or providing evidence for the doubting Thomas' to review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back