Craftsman ratchet too tight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a set of Craftsman ratchets that are about 15 yrs old. I've got 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". They all seem "tight", but the 3/8" is the worst.

An example of what I mean by tight is if I'm putting a bolt back in and I've already threaded it in finger tight, when I put the ratchet to it, tighten, then pull back on the ratchet it'll back the bolt back out as though the internal cogs aren't releasing. It's really irritating, especially when working in areas with minimal swing clearance.

I've tried loosening 'em up with some lightweight turbine oil. That helps some, but I'm still left wanting a more precise feeling tool.

Anyone else run into this issue? Maybe all Craftsman are this way and I just need to try something different like Kobalt, Rigid, or something. I really don't want to drop Snap-On cash on ratchets as they're pretty much hobby/home maint use only.

This is the style ratchets I'm having the issues with:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944809000P

I periodically take mine apart, clean any grit, and put it back together with new lube. Try that first. It'll also give you a chance to check for cracks or excessive wear.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I like to drop mine accidentally into the oil change pan now and again. Keeps things moving nicely after 10 years........

Sounds messy yet effective, LOL!

If you are going to accidentally drop in oil pan, do that after your transmission oil change :) ATF seems to clean and lube the ratchet best as far as I have gleaned from internet.

I make a habit to take apart all my ratchets about every 2 years, clean out the old grease with brake cleaner, then inspect & regrease. A few other folks I know like to soak the ratchet heads in ATF overnight about once a year - no disassembly required.

Cleaning & relubing the ratchets helps my Craftsmen feel like SK, makes the SKs at work feel like Snap-On and my HF (Snap-Off) set feel like Craftsman. FWIW, I like the way the Craftsman pear-head ratchets feel & function.

ATF soaks usually work. The one time I drenched my cheap Chinese ratchets in Dex/Merc ATF, they worked beautifully.

I'm thinking my new Craftsman, GearWrench and SK ratchets might need a little soak in the leftover Dex-VI I have...

I use this in my ratchets:
7550.jpg

It makes them super smooth and the grease won't seep out, synthetic too.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
I'm with CharlieJ on this one and Super Lube is also the factory grease for Snap-on. The Permatex that Merk uses works OK but does leak a lot.

By the way Merk, hello from the dark side....:)

Hello GeorgiaHybrid.
grin2.gif

The Permatex 81950 does bleed off some excess, but what's left behind is a very stout
slippery film that will keep your ratchet running velvety smooth for years and years.
thumbsup2.gif

I take mine apart periodically, clean and re-lube using the same engine assembly lube as Merkava_4 ^^

Buy snap ring pliers and open the craftsman ratchet. Using anything else other than grease is going to leave a mess. Your ratchet will look like its bleeding RLL, ATF, used motor OIL...

Then the ratchet becomes slippery in your hands.

DSCN4169.jpg

Last edited:
I like the Super Lube Grease. I've used it for other things and I found it to be quite good, it is nice and clean as well.

I have the same ratchet and I have tried MMO and Super Lube on it. I still hate it. Its siblings, namely 1/4 and 1/2 are better than this one. Next time, I am at Sears, I am going to try to do warranty replacement.

another trick is to trim the spring underneath the little ball so that it is sitting flush with the ratchet:

link

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Craftsman stuff? take it back and get a new one!

The new Craftsman raised panels ain't what they used to be. Better to keep the old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back