John Deere Coolgard 6.0 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my '07 6.0 I switched over to John Deere Coolgard at 90,000mi. due to a stuck thermostat, I the flushed system
coolant has 30,000mi. on sample (Approx 1 year)
Coolscan Plus lab
12/18/10 date of sample

lead........................ iron........................ aluminum.....................1
copper......................
visual appearance

clarity...............clear
petroleum layer.......,none
sediment...............none
color.................green

physical/chemical

glycol content...........%52
reserve alkalinity.......2.4

additional

freeze point.............-40 (refractometer)
pH.......................7.8 (D1287/meter)
Nitrites...........ppm 1354 (Titrimetric/IC D5827)
molybdate................775
Silicates..........ppm 328

test results indicate no action required

I have had no cooling system issues with this truck, also there is a bypass coolant filter installed.

The silicate level is higher than I'd thought it'd be. You'd expect a diesel coolant to be around 250 ppm new and even a little lower after some miles. Molybdate is not in G-05 so Cool-guard must differ from G-05 more than thought or maybe there was some factory fill still in the coolant. I'm not sure if your FF would be G-05 or a phosphate/molybdate formula that Ford sometimes used. I didn't see any phosphate listed though. The pH level suggests the colant is a HOAT. Too bad these samples don't tell you the OATs used.

Well acording to Deere specs they list it as a HOAT, actually a tri-HOAT, proprietary to Deere. I'm not familiar with the GO-5 formula, although I do know its close/compatitable with coolgard

There's Coolgard and there's Coolgard II. I was under the belief that Coolgard II was the one with the tri-HOAT formula and regular Coolgard was basically G-05. It's hard to say since the formula is proprietary. Are using the original Coolgard or II?

the truck was drained/flushed at 90,000mi. and filled with coolgard, any top-up has been with coolgard II(due to coolant filter changes)
Everything I have been able to find is that, although coolgard/GO-5 are close/compatitable, the additive packages are very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back