Rotella T6 Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of educating myself about motor oil for my 2002 CBR600F4i motorcycle (with only 1500 miles on the engine). I am a bit confused about the API ratings e.g. SF,SG etc.

My manual specifies that I must use either SF or SG rated oil. If an oil has an SH or SM rating, does it meet the SF/SG specification. (Specifically, I want to use Rotella T6 which has an API rating of SM,SL,SJ and SH).

Also regarding the RT6 JASO rating, MA seems to mean that no friction modifiers have been added. Yet I have read that RT6 oil analysis has shown low levels of Moly.

I want to take the best possible care of this bike. I hope that the RT6 will be friendly to the engine and clutch.

Many thanks,
ZZ

Yes, the SM rating supersedes SL (meeting it meets/exceeds). SL supercedes SK, SJ, etc. So if your bike wants SF, SM is perfectly acceptable.

The JASO ratings are different because some bikes use a common sump. I can't comment on those.

I run the T6 in one of my bikes and have had no problems with the clutch. I find the friction zone smoother from the previous oils I ran in the bike. I'll be changing the oil & filter in a few months and will continue to use the T6.

dparm and errtt.
Thanks for the quick replies. You have given me confidence to make the switch from dino to synth...as soon as it stops snowing and raining here (Tehachapi, CA).

Happy 2011
ZZ

Nice bike I hope you enjoy it. You say 1500 miles on the engine, do you mean the bike or has the engine been replaced?

I'm currently looking for an F4i, but I think by the time I'm able to purchase one, they'll be little to choose from. The 600RR looks nice, but I want a streetbike not a race replica and AFAIK, the F4i fits the bill just fine for a sportbike.

I like the handle on the 04-06, very utilitarian. But the split seat on the 01-03 just looks the bill.

Is the fuel injection smooth? Any complaints?

On the 15w40 there is another Jaso rating. I think its DH if I remember correctly. Does the T6 have it and what is its purpose?

My Zuki 1200 loves T6. Have tried M1 and others and T6 gives me better MPG and shifts much smoother. Not real scientific but MHO

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
On the 15w40 there is another Jaso rating. I think its DH if I remember correctly. Does the T6 have it and what is its purpose?

Both Rotella T 15w-40 (mineral) and Rotella T6 5w-40 (synthetic) carry JASO MA and JASO DH-2 approvals. DH-2 spec has to do with lowered diesel engine emissions. For motorcycles with shared sump, it is the MA spec that's important.

http://www.jama-english.jp/release/release/2005/050418.html

mjoekingz28...the bike had 1200 mi. on it when I bought it. It was stored on a Battery Tender and ridden once a month or so. The injection has no issues so far.

I wanted an RR also but they were beyond my budget...the F4i has plenty of performance for me.

Check out Quattro Pete's post...the DH rating looks like it relates to diesel emission.

Good luck looking for an F4i.
ZZ

MA means it passed a frictional gate standard for good clutch operation. It has nothing to do with Moly. Just about all oils have a touch of moly, less than 100ppm is not an issue.

Did you know Motul competition, has like 500 ppm of moly, and still meets an MA rating. I dont know how they did that, thats an enormous amount of moly or how close it not passes, I suspect its borderline.

But below 100 ppm your safe with any moly frictional issue.

I usually hear not to use the Energy Conservative oils for a wet clutch system.
The Rotella is not labeled as such, and I have good results with the 5w-40.

zzulu,

How do you feel about the 8k intervals on the oil and filter?

Seems a bit high to me, but it does take about as much oil as my car at 3.5 quarts.

Is Honda to trust or do they put down the bare minimum in the service requirements to satisfy non-mechaincally minded individuals? I mean, every other bike I look at has about 16k intervals for greasing the steering head and swingarm, but not the F4i or RR.

Same with my Yamaha V Star. I tried other brands of synthetic but the Rotella works the best in that this bike shifts smoother.

Like you, not scientific, but a difference I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back