Ever had TPMS sensors swapped to new wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, finally got some new wheels for the Explorer due to curb damage. Guess I should call the tire shop and ask, but I am curious if anyone has done this.

1. Has anybody had the OEM TPMS sensors swapped to new wheels or do I have to buy a new set of sensors?

They are only 6 months old, and with a battery life of 4+ years, Im hoping I can re-use the old ones. I think they are the typical late-model Ford "band-type".

2. If they are not re-usable, can I order the stem-type sensors for the new wheels?

Tire Rack sold my Dad an additional set of sensors for the winter tires for my mom's car and my brother's. IIRC they were about $225 for all four. They had some trouble getting them to pair up with the car but eventually got it worked out.

I don't see any reason why they can't swap them over. Just call the local Discount Tire, they're used to this stuff.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
1. Has anybody had the OEM TPMS sensors swapped to new wheels or do I have to buy a new set of sensors?

I did it on my GTI. Computer didn't recognize them right off. I overfilled the pressure a bit and then backed down to normal pressure and then it recognized them.

I had a 2008 Saturn Aura changed over from standard steel wheels to GM aluminum wheels with no issues, other than needing new valve stems. I think the main thing is to be sure that the sensors will clear the tire bead as they install the tire.

Originally Posted By: SaturnIonVue
I had a 2008 Saturn Aura changed over from standard steel wheels to GM aluminum wheels with no issues, other than needing new valve stems. I think the main thing is to be sure that the sensors will clear the tire bead as they install the tire.

Same here: I changed my 2011 Camry's wheels from OEM steel to OEM Avalon aluminum alloy. The sensors moved right over, no problem. The Toyota sensors are stem-type, FWIW.

On the Fords we've done (Expeditions, Navigator) the sensor is mounted to the wheel with a flat metal strip and double-sided tape. We've had a couple instances where the flat tape got snagged and tore the sensor loose when removing tires from the wheels, and replaced the flat strip with some BIG nylon wire-ties from an electrical supply house (or Lowes/Home Depot) and some new double-sided tape and everything was fine.

Dunno if your Explorer uses the same setup, but, if it does, you should have no problems swapping out the sensors.
thumbsup2.gif

2. If they are not re-usable, can I order the stem-type sensors for the new wheels?

The band type and strap type sensors operate on different frequencies and cannot be interchanged per Ford when i have inquired.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

The band type and strap type sensors operate on different frequencies and cannot be interchanged per Ford when i have inquired.

I was afraid of that. Hopefully, I still won't have to buy new sensors. Do you agree with RWEST that the tire shop will have no problems switching the band-type sensors over to my new wheels? The new wheels are the same size as the old.

I was afraid of that. Hopefully, I still won't have to buy new sensors. Do you agree with RWEST that the tire shop will have no problems switching the band-type sensors over to my new wheels? The new wheels are the same size as the old.

Of they are careful there should be no problem at all. They might have to replace the straps depending on how they come apart.

It all depends on if the sensor is a stand alone/replaceable part or if it is part of the valve stem.

On my 07 Silverado I had new rims put on and the sensors swapped over to the new valve stems. The truck was new enough that they were able to seperate the sensors without damaging them. On my 05 Silverado( bought in 06 as a left over )when I swapped rims they had to replace them. They couldn't get them apart. On my 08 Ram the sensor is not considered serviceable seperately. You replace the sensor and valve stem as a complete unit. No idea on Ford?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back