Mobil 1 vs Amsoil synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: KieferS
amsoil. My opinion. Lower wear metals on UOAs. Complaints from many people in many car enthusiast forums about excessive noise. Some might say - questionable business ethics. Not to mention that AMSoil is a forum sponser
smile.gif

The trend seems to be that many people are moving away from mobil 1

KieferS,
You said" The trend seems to be many people are moving away from Mobil 1". Do you have information to verify this? Also you said" questionable business ethics" refering to XM. Do you have information to verify this? Now XM may be involved in Tom Foolery somewhere, but in my view they are an American success story, when there are few these days, it seems. The original question had to do with the performance of these two fine oils. No need to bash XM in the process with claims you may have a hard time proving.

Yeah,what he said!!

Both are great oils - I don't use M1 because I feel like they shafted us on the Q&A and their marketing annoys me. Maybe a silly reason, but with so many good lubes out there what's the difference?

I do run Amsoil in my VQ35DE.

Originally Posted By: KieferS
amsoil. My opinion. Lower wear metals on UOAs. Complaints from many people in many car enthusiast forums about excessive noise. Some might say - questionable business ethics. Not to mention that AMSoil is a forum sponser
smile.gif

The trend seems to be that many people are moving away from mobil 1

And XOM isn't a site sponsor? Is it just my computer that shows sponsored by Mobil 1 on the site banner?

If people were moving away from Mobil1, they would have fewer rather than more slots in Walmart. Wally World doesn't stock anything that doessn't move.

i like M1, but saying WM sells something just because it moves is true, but that sure isnt bragging rights.....anymore it seems what "moves" is cheap more often than not, again im NOT referencing M1, just saying

Originally Posted By: kcfx4
i like M1, but saying WM sells something just because it moves is true, but that sure isnt bragging rights.....anymore it seems what "moves" is cheap more often than not, again im NOT referencing M1, just saying

Yeah, but he was responding to a claim that people were "moving away" from Mobil 1. If a product is really moving, its sales can hardly be lagging, can they?

Originally Posted By: rshunter

Yeah, but he was responding to a claim that people were "moving away" from Mobil 1. If a product is really moving, its sales can hardly be lagging, can they?

my point is, if someone saw X brand of oil on clerance @ wm for lets say $1/qt theyd be braging yeah i bought this oil/etc i never heard of for this ridiculous price.........its the PRICE @ WM, not the quality, again im not referencing any oil brand etc, just referencing ppl and price influence

Originally Posted By: kcfx4

The Walmart reference was in response to the notion that people are moving away from M1. Walmart doesn't increase the shelf space for products whose sales are declining. I agree that being slotted into Walmart doesn't denote quality. It does say something about popularity. And M1 being found in every major auto parts chain does say something about quality.

Gotcha!! I just like to throw a cheap shot @ WM when i can! but again i do like M1! so im not beating oil, just another point, so to speak

Even if M1 was going down it would be because of Pennzoil not Amsoil. I do like the moves Amsoil is making to break out of the boutique category. Hopefully we'll start seeing OE and XL at the major auto stores

A honest newbie question that turned into a worthless thread of bashing... I could imagine being in the OP shoes, he received information from his mechanic, and done a quick google.. this site pops up as the best oils site in the world, with more knowledge than all others combined... and the crime scene here is the responses to the OP....

to the OP I'm not sure I would choose either myself, I don't care for M1, however it's in my Honda at this very moment because of the great deal.. Depending on your OCI, driving conditions, and OEM oil spec I would assume that you have an array of oil choices at your disposal... do some searching on this forum... It comes down to first what your engine specs for oil.. no harm in going above spec, but don't go below... when going above you have a good chance of wasting money.. many people try to talk around this subject by extended drains, more protection etc etc.. but it's just not there for the taking as all this that is offered never gets used.

Important here also is oil tier groups, you will find each brand of oil has a tier group from conventional to top notch synthetic, within each tier there is very very little to no difference in engine longevity unless a specific oil spec is required... I hope this helps you.. again the search engine is your friend, and don't get to wound up in synthetic or conventional, real or fake.. etc... I would look at my oil spec by OEM, then compare prices of brand name oils.

Touchee rclint for actually answering the op's question.

I don't know where M1 rates in the syn world heirarcy or how it compares to Amsoil, but at $22.50 per 5 qt jug at Walmart for most popular viscosities it strikes me as a heck of a value.

The problem with Mobil is they are keep changing formulation without telling the customer the actual truth. That is exactly each bottle of the same grade of M1 may have variety of certification depending on the batch.

I believe Amsoil SSO is loaded with a lot of friction modifier so it helps on fuel consumption, however upon higher temperature oxidation, it turns thicker faster than M1. I have been running many OCI on M1 and SSO, and I can tell how much noise happen in the first few seconds of cold startup, and the engine sound while still quite cold (first 1 km drive after about 20-30 seconds of warm up from cold start).

However, nowadays I only use Mobil1 0w-30 and EP 5w-30, so not sure what is the current quality of 5w-30. In the past (before EP line launched, certain 5w-30 batch causes loud engine noise in the hot weather (almost like knocking) and most of the time the engine sounds a bit rough after 8k km.

For aggressive driving, I still find M1 EP maintain the smoothness longer than SSO, even though I always change after 10k km.

So I hope this will help people to understand these 2 oils
smile.gif

How many miles on that VQ35DE now? I have 200k on my Infiniti using M1 Extended, and the mechanic says the engine looks like new. Never had an issue. Tranny is pristine and brakes are great as well on the old girl. No leaks, great mpg. Also, I've owned 2 Volkswagens, and they were both money traps. Spent thousands on ALL OF THEM. Bought a BMW and a Mercedes too. German cars are without a doubt the worst you can get. Just look at the Mercedes/Chrystler venture. What a horror. I'd almost purchase an American made car instead, but that's pushing it to the extreme. You'd don't seem to be a good person to offer advice... just saying.

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Between Mobil 1 Extended Protection 5W-30 and Amsoil SSO 0W-30 I'll put SSO in my engines 100% of the time.

4 Ball Wear Test

Useless test... Mobil 1 for me.

Originally Posted By: TahoeDoc
Hi All, new here. Any advice on Mobil 1 vs Amsoil. New mechanic for my 5.3L 2008 Tahoe LTZ recommends Amsoil. He says it's the original and still the best. Currently using Mobil 1. Also, my sister's mechanic replaced synthetic oil with petro-based oil in her 1999 Saab (160k mi, 4 cyl). Is it kosher to go back once synthetic being used? Thanks.

I'd go Magnatec or Frosted Flakes. HEck, even the M1 10w-30 HM with the Euro certs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back