Is Amsoil Playing with Me??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys here is the deal. As many of you know I was on the fence about which one of these oils to use in my Evo:

1) Amsoil RD30
2) Redline 5/30
3) RP XPR 5/30

So about 6 weeks ago, I go to Amsoils web site and saw this:

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd30.aspx

So I am curious so I sent out an email asking Amsoil a simply question: "in your test where you show your RD30 up against Redline and RP amongst others, were you comparing your RD30 with the other brands "race" oils, or were you testing the other companies "street" oils for this test?

Well, a week past so I never got a reply. Which I thought was odd since Amsoil is pretty good about replying. So I Did something a little scandalous. I have 3 email accounts. So I sent different emails to Amsoil asking different types of questions. On the 2 accounts that I ask about product info, I got response back within 2 days. Those questions were like, "how much ZDDP in this oil, the TBN of that oil" etc. On my 3rd email address I asked again about the oil tests and other comparo stuff. Never got a response of the 4 emails I sent concerning that in a montn?

So I think that is kinda fishy. I went to the other 2 brands I have listed above and got some very good info from them right away. I ended up choosing Redline out of the 3. I just wanted to see if anyone else has question Amsoils tests and what replies they got.

I am not here to bash Amsoil so get that out of your minds, cause I can see that coming from people. Its just to me, IMO its not fair to compare a companies "Street" oil to a your "Race" oil and then go to say your product is better. To me that is just not right. Regardless of how good the oil itself is.

35.gif
36.gif

Amsoil's marketing has really changed drastically in the last few months. Fortunately you've been around here long enough to know how to objectively measure how good an oil is and look past the marketing department's hype and conjecture.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Amsoil's marketing has really changed drastically in the last few months. Fortunately you've been around here long enough to know how to objectively measure how good an oil is and look past the marketing department's hype and conjecture.

This site is indeed very helpful. It just seems your everyones friend until you question their product. Then all of a sudden, your the red headed stepchild.

Thanks Everyone just for being so cool in answering the same ol' questions 100x's over. I do searches, but some of the results are pretty dated. So if I keep bringing up old stuff I apologize. I just like to ask allot of Q's.

Seems like they are hand picking which questions to answer, and possibly referred your well thought of question up the line. Now that you put it out in an open forum my best guess is you'll get an answer shortly.

Vote with your feet is what my father says. If you feel like Amsoil is hiding things or isn't being 100% upfront, don't give them your business.

On the whole they're pretty good but some of these new OE and XL things are a little weird.

To Top it off there is an Amsoil Dealer on one of the Evo Forums I visit that is telling everyone that the Amsoil XL line is a PAO group 4 oil and has NO Group 3 in it at all.

That is not what I heard on this site, so someone is wrong on that one. I mean, I dont use the stuff, but why all the conflicting stories? When I asked the Dealer about it on the Forum, he acted like I was stupid questiong him that "his" oil is a Group 3.

I don't know, they are just too aggressive in their sales and marketing for my liking. Again, not mocking their oil, just their Tact on selling it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work
Vote with your feet is what my father says.

Exactly, I vote with my wallet.

Jeff, you made fine choice with the Red Line
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Bud
smile.gif
Will give it the ol' college try
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
It just seems your everyones friend until you question their product.
Potentially nice signature.

Wait until you get banned as a prophylactic measure. These guys are so predictable - I have fun teasing them once in awhile. Next step is a ban and a total wipe out of your posts detrimental to the cause. And that being money.

To Top it off there is an Amsoil Dealer on one of the Evo Forums I visit that is telling everyone that the Amsoil XL line is a PAO group 4 oil and has NO Group 3 in it at all.

That is not what I heard on this site, so someone is wrong on that one. I mean, I dont use the stuff, but why all the conflicting stories? When I asked the Dealer about it on the Forum, he acted like I was stupid questiong him that "his" oil is a Group 3.

I don't know, they are just too aggressive in their sales and marketing for my liking. Again, not mocking their oil, just their Tact on selling it.

The Amsoil reps on this site know cars and the product line, they are professionals and do a good job representing the product. I've seen on other sites some off the wall comments and claims about Amsoil by clueless reps. Keep in mind it doesn't cost much to become an Amsoil dealer, and no real formal training is required. There are a lot of people selling the product who know little or nothing about it to make some extra $$. That IMO can give a good product a bad reputation, and to me is just another major turn off.

Nice choice in your oil selection.

If amsoil listed the Redline product as 5w-30, then that is RL's street oil. Their race oils are straight weights. No such thing as Redline 5w-30 race oil, although many people use their street oils in some racing applications. Amsoils "tests" make me laugh. You picked a great product. RL's reputation isn't what it is because of white papers and other shady third party tests.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
Is there a reason you didnt ask Pablo or Gary to dig into this for you?

Both are site sponsors and have good reputations on the board.

I figured one of them would get wind of this thread and post themselves. It was Pablo I believe that said the XL being group 3 that made me think about the Dealer on the Evo forum. At least Pablo is straight up about it. But using street oils to compare with their race oil sounds pretty shady to me. There is really no way of knowing for sure. None of us were there. Conspiracy theory? Nah, I really don't care since I probably won't go back to Amsoil again. I did use it in my 03 Evo 8 back in 2003, then I used the 10/30 ATM and their gear oils. Their Sales tact is just off the chart. If you sell such a good oil, just let it sell itself of which it does. I agree with the previous post that its just too easy to be a Amsoil Dealer. I mean, I have 2 start up packs sitting on my desk right now and I get letters from them all the time telliing me how much money I can make. So I think that is why the oil to me is getting a bad wrap. All I can say is they lost me as a potential customer based on their sales tact. I can only imagine how many other people feel the same way.

Last edited:
I am not familer with the tests your talking about, so I cant comment on them.

There are moron sales folks in all areas of business, and I can appreciate what a turn off that can be.

I know what I like and what oil i use. And did enough research for my application, just as your doing for yours.

Last edited:
Well, a week past so I never got a reply. Which I thought was odd since Amsoil is pretty good about replying. So I Did something a little scandalous. I have 3 email accounts. So I sent different emails to Amsoil asking different types of questions. On the 2 accounts that I ask about product info, I got response back within 2 days. Those questions were like, "how much ZDDP in this oil, the TBN of that oil" etc. On my 3rd email address I asked again about the oil tests and other comparo stuff. Never got a response of the 4 emails I sent concerning that in a montn?

So I think that is kinda fishy.

Nothing fishy at all. Amsoil sometimes doesn't get my emails either. It's their silly SPAM filter. I wish they would fix it. As you can imagine their email addies get tons of SPAM and junk, so they have the filter set pretty tight. I get very angry when they don't get mine, or sometimes a week later when they respond....

Anyway, why didn't you just ask me? They tested the RD oils against the RL straight weight oils.

Quote:

On the whole they're pretty good but some of these new OE and XL things are a little weird.

It has? It is? Please explain. Thanks.

Well he is wrong. Amsoil had excellent training on the oils when they were introduced. No need to lie about it.

I'm not aggressive at all. No more aggressive than commercials on the TV.
lol.gif
banana2.gif

But using street oils to compare with their race oil sounds pretty shady to me.

Who told you that? It's simply not true.

There is really no way of knowing for sure. None of us were there. Conspiracy theory?

Amsoil clearly marked which RL oil "Redline 20 wt" or "Redline 30 wt" or "Redline 50 wt" . Please, let's not make this any bigger than it already is.

Pablo, please understand this is nothing against you. I understand what you mean about Amsoil not getting emails, but I sent 12 total and the only ones not answered was the ones that only concentrated on their testing methods? So basically they consider any threatening emails Spam?

I not only talking about the Redline. It says on the Amsoil site compared to 30wtXX how am I supposed to know what that xx means? They say RP 5/30 but no mention if its the XPR series, they say Valvoline 10/30 but not if its VR1 synthetic or Dino, or the Non Street or Street VR1 if it is even VR1 they are comparing with, they say Brad Penn, but which one? Penn Grade, or the Race Oil?

People can look at this and think, "Oh Wow" Amsoil is better then all those oils???

But when I contact the competitors to get a response they flat out say and not only Redline but 4 of the companies that are listed and they all believe it was a biased comparo. Now one can think that would be an obvious answer, but not answering emails, being put on hold when I call amsoil for 20 minutes for "tech" support?? I mean, [censored]???

Amsoil is a great oil folks we all can agree to that. But there are MANY great oils out there. I don't mind paying more or going out of my way to get an oil that I feel will benefit my car, but the whole experience I have had with Amsoil recently has turned me off to their oil. Especially the Amsoil guys on the Evo forums. They are obnoxious, pushy, and ruin it for the other Amsoil guys. The sad thing is? They represent Amsoil too.

The guys that sell Amsoil on this site are really cool, the problem is they know nothing about Evo's. So I went to an Evo forum to talk to Amsoil folks there that own Evo's They blew it for Amsoil by their sales tact as well as Amsoil itself by not answering my emails or speaking with me on the phone. I mean dang, 20 minutes?? I just hung up.

Anyway, its just my experience. Yes I am trying Redline, I am not saying they are better than Amsoil, but Redline earned my money by being upfront, not pushy and didn't put down any oil competitor at all. Honestly, that impressed me. So I will give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back