specs on BMW MTF-LT-4?

I've recently seen some conflicting advice on the newer BMW MTF-LT-4 transmission fluid. Specifically about whether it supersedes the LT-3 or not.

I haven't been able to dig up any real info on it other than a part number and price, and figured this would be the place to ask.

That's the exact thread that prompted me to ask here
laugh.gif

My '11 128i was filled with LT-3 and I believe the sticker on the transmission said LT-3 (I'd have to check for sure).

It would be nice to find out the difference in case the LT-4 is designed for efficiency more than protection or something along those lines.

For what it's worth I've got redline D4 in the transmission now since it's a bit thicker than the LT-3, but not as thick as MTL.

Last edited:
How do you know that? Do you have the vis of LT-3 at 100C? Shaking it does not tell for certain.

When I enquired, I was told that D6 ATF has similar viscosity and characteristics to LT-3, and D4 is a little more viscous than D6.

Did a bit more digging and found a VOA of the Lt-3 Here

Assuming I'm understanding the data correctly, and that VOA data is considered equivalent to mfr. Supplied data it looks like the viscosity at 100 is 6.1 for the lt-3 and 7.5 for the D4 ATF. D6 ATF looks to be 6.4.

Really curious to see if/how the lt-4 differs.

Last edited:
Sorry to revive such an old thread,
but I've been wondering the same,
and can't find any specs on BMW LT-4,
which my 2009 MINI Clubman JCW takes.

I just ordered a few qts, and will send some
to Blackstone for VOA, so look for a thread
on the Gear and Transmission UOA/VOA
forum here within a month or two.

Last edited:
BMW MTF LT-4 is 75W-90 GL-4. Guess this VOA should help:

Back