mixed oils for oil change... is this ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had mixed 5 quarts of Valvoline Synpower 5W30 with 1 quart of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.

This is for my 2007 RAV4 which requires 6 quarts of 5W30

Any issues with this? My understanding is the oils are compatible with each other.

Will I have negated any benefit of either of the add packs (probably impossible to answer, but thought I'd ask).

In case you are wondering why I did this, it is because I had it available after buying the items on sale.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
I do it all the time if I have some odd bottles left for the OC. In the past, I've mixed 3 quarts of M1 EP 05W-30, 2 quarts of WM Super-tech Synthetic 10W-30 and 1 quart of PYB 10W-30 all together for a OCI. My 4Runner ran smooth and fine for 8K miles when I changed the oil again. Why use all of the Mobil 1 EP Synthetic oil in one shot if I can get 2 or 3 oil changes out of a 9 quarts. The add packs in PYB are robust along with those of Mobil 1 and WM Super-Tech Synthetic is not too shabby all by itself.

I just picked up some of the Advance Auto brand full synthetic that they have on sale for $3.59 a quart. I will use this to stretch out any top shelf Premium Synthetic in the future. Frankenoil has always been good.

Last edited:
That mix is fine , i would not mix four or six different quarts by four or six different brands. That would not be much of any ad pack. But one quart or even two would not be a problem.

How about for "top off" oil use? A buddy of mine had this crazy idea of "topping off" his crankcase (he was about a quart and a half low.....) with Royal Purple 5-30....which I believe is/was "SL" rated...which is "OK" for his vehicle.

But would this be "OK" for his engine? lol. Kind of a comical situation, cause when most people think of "top off oil" it's "whatever" they happen to have laying around, eh, maybe SAE 30, 10W-40, 5-20......but yea, he took it to "extremes" to say the least :p

My concern was the whole fact he was clearly mixing "conventional" oil with the "synthetic" oil. I know the old myths of "once you go synthetic you can't go back" are all debunked.....but was kind of curious what effect it would have mixing synthetic (and Royal Purple, at that.....) in a crankcase with other conventional oils....I believe he said his last OCI he used Quaker State....hehe.

Ive got a blend of SuperTech, Synpower, and Royal Purple ready to go in my yaris soon. Not concerned one bit about it.

I mix one qt. of amsoil or M1EP to 4 qts. of super tech conv..This helps extend the OCI and the engine runs very well

When I hear these questions about whether it's ok to mix synth and coventional, I always feel the fact that they SELL SYNTH/CONVENTIONAL BLENDS, and that those are usually considered and upgrade from basic as proof enough that mixing is fine, as long as you realize you may be performing now at the level of the lowest performing oil. As in, don't expect to be ok at 15k miles with 2 qts M1EP and 4qts of Supertech conv in the sump. But for a normal 3-4k run, go for it.

Don't the labels on most full synthetic oils state something to the effect of "fully compatible with conventional motor oils?"

Originally Posted By: spasm3
That mix is fine , i would not mix four or six different quarts by four or six different brands. That would not be much of any ad pack. But one quart or even two would not be a problem.

Any mix is fine as long as they're within the range of your owners manual. Even if it isn't! I have mixed 5 different quarts all being 5 different brands/wgts. Of course that was a long time ago. I have been mixing oils for nearly 40 years. So long in fact that I can't even remember anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I have also used one brand/weight(at a time) for years also, as I was buying oil on sale by the case.

I still mix today, just to a lesser extent. Mainly using 2qts syn and 3qts dino.

I don't go out to buy oil and select 5 different oils just for an OCI! I started doing this years ago when I didn't have any money and I was getting the oil for little money or free.

Today I mix because I actually have a stash due to BITOG
wink.gif
and I often have some orphans. But, I try to stay with the same brand/wgt of syn and the same brand/wgt with the dino. For example:
2qts PP, M1, QSTP/HP or some other syn along with 3qts VWB or PYB or GTX or Hav or whatever. And every once in a while I'll just happen to have a mix of 3 different brands/wgts due to orphans.

And yes, I still use 5qts of the same oil when I can. But with 50-80 qts stash, it's almost impossible to do this all of the time because I often buy "orphan qts" from discount shelves at AAP, PB's, W*M along with regular oil sales/rebates.

I also want people to know that...I don't think that mixing oil brand/wgt's is optimal, I just don't think that it hurts anything. And I have put several hundred thousand miles(200K-350K) on single unrebuilt engines doing so without issue. The rest of the vehicle fell apart before the drivetrain gave out! And the engines ran great! I'm not trying to get 1,000,000 miles on an engine, I just want it to last for as long as I am going to own that vehicle without a major internal repair.

And, I don't loose sleep just because I mixed too many different oils.

I mix different oils all the time; my engine has 140,000 miles on it, no sludge and runs great. Right now I have in it 2 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-30, 1 quart of Valvoline 10w-40, and the rest is some Proline 5W-30. Six quarts in all with an oversized oil filter, a Fram 3600 instead of the OE 3614. It is a 1996 Toyota Avalon. I always get SM grade or better but this car will accept SH.

SH is almost obselete and is about the same price as SM anyway so I do not buy it. Auto Zone still sells it.

I've been doing it for a while too. All oils can be mixed, although oil mfgs would rather you didn't mix. I only do it in my beater to get rid of odd-ball qts I have laying around. I see no harm. Next OCI I might be mixing M1 TDT 5W40 with Mobil Clean 5W20 and make my own hybrid ~5W30 blend for my Aerostar.
27.gif

Mozart, 1 to 5 hardly qualifies as a mix particularly when the two oils are of the same grade with both being OTC GPIII oils. Just changing brands would then have to be considered a mix since there's always at least 10-15% of the old oil remaining in an engine after an oil change.

I never really plan on oil mixes, but it often seems to turn out that way for various reason.

Well the good Dr Haas doesn't recommend mixing oils...

From oil 101(page six)

Quote:
If while on the road you are forced to add oil there are rules. Let us say for example that our engine has synthetic Mobil One 0W-30. Use the same type and brand if you can. If you are using Mobil 1 then it is acceptable to mix different grades but use a close grade when possible. It is not a good idea to mix say 1/2 your oil tank with 0W-30 and 1/2 with 15W-50 Mobil 1. If there is no Mobil 1 available then use the mineral based Mobil oils next,.

The last choice is to mix a synthetic of another brand. They should not react adversely if mixed but it may dilute additives. This is not a good combination. Use this combination if you must but only until an oil change can safely be performed some time soon.

I always mix my orphan frankenblends in friends/family cars that are super duper easy on oil (2.2 ecotech's, lol) that will run on anything. Usually like 3 qt's conventional name brand of one type and a couple of orphan synthetic's left over from other runs. I get these all the time as my car takes 5.6 qt's of oil and doesn't use any.

I was thinking about oil mixing as well. I have a half quart of RP 20W50 and was thinking about mixing it with 4 quarts of Mobil 1 15W50 (to make the 4.5 max capacity). Trying to get rid of all these half quarts I have laying around.

For normal everyday type driving for the everyman, mixing is fine. If you drive your vehicle like you stole it, run something special and be particular about it!

Dr. Haas drives vehicles that are special to say the least and he has several. He can put in them anything he wants.

Even my more expensive(to me)vehicles are everyday vehicles and I drive them as such. I take care of them very well and they'll get what ever oil I have in my stash. The drivetrains will still outlast the rest of the vehicle even if I get on it a little bit.

If the engine is going to go south, it going to go south anyway. For example: Our friends recently bought a new Buick Enclave 3.6. His vehciles only get the best and he uses synthetic oil...11,000 miles, the engine went south on the way to Phoenix. It wasn't the oil! If it's going to go, it's going to go! Then there is neglect. And that's not us here at Bob's.

I guess from a technical aspect, mixing isn't optimal. What is optimal is the same flavor. I just don't think the engine cares unless your putting in junk.

If I had a 1/4 mile draggster, I would use an oil that is designed for that. Same with a very high reving engine. Or towing/snowplowing/hauling or extending OCI's.

Last edited:
often, i mix 4 qts M1 5w20 and 2 qts mobil clean 5k 5w20 to fill my 4.6 f150, i kinda like it.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back