Original Honda coolant best for my Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: sayjac
...Draining coolant followed by 3-4 distilled water fill and drains will get most of the old out. Full strength is required though to use the distilled drain/flush series method and properly obtain a 50% AF system concentration....

I've often read about this method but I don't understand how the final result would be a 50/50 mix.....

I think what confuses me is: Assuming you drain/fill to the point where the entire cooling system uses almost 100% water, would the last drain/fill with 100% antifreeze actually work out to a 50/50 mix?....
I use the owners manual to find the cooling system capacity. After the 3-4 drain/refill series, last drain generally looks clear, mostly distilled water. At that point, full strength coolant to what would be a 50% concentration. Example; system capacity 8 qts, fill radiator with 1 gallon coolant, result 50% solution or very close. Could add a bit more full strength for safety, or slightly > 50% solution if you choose.

I've never not been able to get enough out, to reach 50% in the systems I've done. Seems like a 4 gallon system should have a drain from the radiator of at least 2 gallons.
21.gif
Did a 4.6L Explorer once and ~ 9 qts. came out of the radiator drain, enough to get to a 50% concentration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back