What should I use for a servicar rearend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a servicar rearend there are three greasable
areas. The center section contains the spider gear set up. Gears, shafts in plain type bearing. The next section (the inboard end of the axle) is supported by a tapered roller bearing. The last section (the wheel end of the axle) is supported by what is best described as a large caged needle bearing. All three areas are separate from one another and have zerks for periodic lubrication.

What grease(s) would be best for each? Or is there one that would be suitable for all? I have no problem in using three different greases if that is what's best.

Any/all info and opinions much appreciated.

Rob

If you mean a Harley Davidson Servicar, why not give the nearest dealer a call and ask them. I'm sure it will fairly simple.

Yes, it is an HD servicar. They have not been made since 1973. The manual says to use HD Grease-All grease for everything. Don't believeit is made any longer. Surely things have improved in 40 years anyway! Was looking for info on more modern replacement for the specific applications/areas.

Valvestem- absolutely NO disrespect intended but it's obvious that you don't own a Harley, or at least an old one. Calling the local HD boutique about a real machine that hasn't been made for 40 years would get me a twenty year old parts guy and a "Huh? What's that?"

The factory does not support or care about any of their old iron. However, spend 20-30 thousand on a new bike and a costume to go with it and they love you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back