Prairie 650 final drive fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2002 Kawasaki Prairie 650 that I need to change the final drive fluid. What are the alternatives to the Kawasaki Gear and Wet Brake oil that the local dealer wants an arm and leg for. I've read the the John Deere Hy-Gard Low Viscosity or Mobil 424 are alternatives, as well as several other tractor hydraulic fluids. Any opinions? BTW, it only takes a quart.

Last edited:
Can't say for sure, but it would seem logical that a motorcycle 10W-40 would work. The 10W-40 is spec'd for transmission/gearbox use and for wet cluth use.

Mobil 424 is a hydraulic/transmission type fluid. Engine oil would not be appropriate.

AMSOIL ATH Synthetic Tractor/Hydraulic Transmission oil meets J20C and J20D. It is available in quarts.

Just put new boots and o-rings on the front propeller shaft and replaced the oil in the front differential. Oil came out pretty milky, so I'm glad I did a drain and refill with Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40. The next time I go past a John Deere dealer, I'm going to get a quart of Hy-Gard hydraulic fluid and do a drain and refill on the rear end. The Hy-Gard is supposed to be equivalent to the Mobil 424 that is recommended in the owner's manual.

Went by the Kubota place and grabbed a quart of UDT for $5, which meets John Deere J20C spec and did a drain and refill on the rear end. Fluid came out looking pretty thick and nasty. Of course, the wet brake adds some material, but I'm glad I changed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back