would this grease work for sway bar bushings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
need to grease up the sway bar bushings and i found this at a local dealer, just wondering if it will work...

-

Thats a Li grease cut with a solvent But I only use a light oil light like WD-40, thought bushings should not have grease or they will get "squishy" and pound out.
bruce

The best stuff is the Energy Suspensions goop. It's got to be one of the stickiest, most tenacious greases ever produced. Problem is, to use it properly you must either have the bushings off the car, or before initial assembly. This stuff is just too viscous to get into the bushing once assembled, but it does outlast anything that can be sprayed into the bushing/swaybar deal.

quote:

Originally posted by jayno20:
im thinking about getting some energy suspension bushings, do they come with said "goop"?

I've seen them with and without the stuff. I would just ask the seller of the ES bushings to "throw in" some in the little squeeze tube they have available. You also can get it in a small lidded container and a small plastic jar size. To get sway bar bushings apart you have to take off the metal brackets holding them to the chassis, drop the bar down some, and twist them off (if they're split by design, if not the whole bar must be separated from the chassis and suspension and the bushings slid off of the bar).

alright i will be ordering some of these bushings, im hoping that takes care of the problem cause its pretty annoying, any thoughts on those ES bushings?

Depending on your application, some ES bushings come with brackets drilled and tapped with zerk fittings, which allow you to use a grease gun to lube them. The ES grease might be available in 14 oz. cartridges, but it is sooo viscous, it seems like it would blow out the seals in a normal grease gun!!

Standard black rubber bushings use only spray silicone (quite often). ES bushings tend to stiffen suspension and give more road feel. If lubed with ES grease (a pure silicon I believe) initial lube should last lifetime .

WD40 doesn't belong on ANY black rubber bushing unless you want it to swell and get gell-ish.

Bob

"The best stuff is the Energy Suspensions goop"
I think the "goop" you need is
CRC sta-lube synthetic brake grease,
I have seen it supplied by some of the aftermarket suspension parts suppliers.
Its about $10 for a small tub of it
I have been using it for years, use it on everything, works great.
hope this helps!
By the way just found this site a couple of
months ago lots of good info.

For my poly endlinks I just use a moly grease. It works very well on them. I lube the inside of my hard rubber bushings with it too, no deterioration and its wash proof.

A year or two ago this topic was thrashed around and Schaefers 238 Moly grease got high ratings for polyurethane bushing because it's extremely tenacious and water resistant. It wouldn't be good for rubber bushings.

Silicone Spray! Or the old standby, rubberlube. Many different brands, but they all look like watery soap that you mop on.

Oldwrench is right about CRC Sta-Lube, excellent for synthetic rubbers and ES type polys.

Bob

The issue with silicone spray is that the propellant could potentially contain hydrocarbons which leach the rubbers and cause degradation.

Perhaps silicone oil in a syringe would be better?

I believe propellants are volatile compounds that dissipate rather quickly, before they can harm the elastomer. Some propellants are CO2 or alcohol.

About 15? years ago I sprayed some silicone spray on the original (cracked and old but not torn) CV joint boots of a '86 Nissan Sentra, and watched them come apart and separate within a minute...

I thought I was trying to help them last longer... I remember the can was white, and I never did that again...

On the polyurethane suspension bushings, I've been using marine grease, as it was recommended on a local Miata mailing list. Haven't been using it for too long, but it seems OK.
I used some sticky lube once, and after a year or two, it became really sticky and I could hardly move the sway bar at all.

Jim

Originally Posted By: vad
What would be good for rubber?

Sil-Glyde from NAPA.

Yes, never spray any rubber with WD-40. I would be careful with silicone sprays too.

Originally Posted By: jm1na
About 15? years ago I sprayed some silicone spray on the original (cracked and old but not torn) CV joint boots of a '86 Nissan Sentra, and watched them come apart and separate within a minute...

I think your right about that. In APR 2009 I sprayed a product by KLEEN-FLO called HONEY GOO HOLISTIC RUBBER CONDITIONER, on one of the axle boots that was cracked and old on my Nissan Maxima.

I just removed that axle and notice that the boot is completely ripped open all the way around. Don't know if it was from this spray but it makes me wonder. I actually used this on my brake hoses, I hope it doesn't eat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back