Any watch/timepiece enthusiasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Al
Just got the wife this:

97M104.jpg

Got it at Princetonwatches.com

list $400..got it for $230 overnight shipping free. I recommend this place

This is their new "Precisionist Line. Second hand is totally smooth. They claim it as the world's most accurate watch. I take that with a grain of salt.

They make no such claim. The accuracy is supposed to be +/- 10 seconds per year.* I got one for Christmas and really enjoy the smooth sweep of the second hand. I just wish Bulova had resurrected the "Accuquartz" name for this watch rather than coming up with something new.

*The Grand Seiko with the hand-built 9F quartz movement is rated at +/- 5 seconds per year.

post-236-1233269406.jpg

Yes i believe it is a 400 family movement.A wonderful top shelf movement in every way! The original Rolex Daytona used a movement from zenith before going to their in house 4130,they are some of the most prized Daytona models.
I wish my later model Daytona had the Zenith engine.

G-MAN
Nice watches.Love that rare Seiko Hi Beat,stunning!

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

They make no such claim.

"Bulova Precisionist, new for fall and holiday 2010, is the world's most accurate watch, with a continuously sweeping second hand"
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/bulova-precisionist.asp

Princeton Watches is being deceitful with the placement of that comma. The claim by Bulova is "the world's most accurate watch with a continuously sweeping second hand," not "the world's most accurate watch." Check out the Bulova web site:

http://bulovaprecisionist.com/

The claim is a direct stab by Citizen (the parent company of Bulova) at Seiko's Spring Drive, which is the only other quartz-driven watch with a smooth sweep second hand.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Princeton Watches is being deceitful with the placement of that comma. The claim by Bulova is "the world's most accurate watch with a continuously sweeping second hand," not "the world's most accurate watch." Check out the Bulova web site: [/quote

Yea..you are probably right. But I did say:

Al said:
They claim it as the world's most accurate watch. I take that with a grain of salt.

I'll let ya know next year. I have a Wenger Swiss Army that does like a half minute a year. If it matches that I'm happy.
smile.gif

I have a Wenger Swiss Army that does like a half minute a year. If it matches that I'm happy.
smile.gif

Ah... accuracy is one thing I miss when it comes to an automatic watch. My Seiko5 loses about half a minute per day.
smile.gif

Very true.A $10 quartz from Walmart will keep better time than any mechanical even COSC.

IMHO If it cost more than $50 its not about keeping time any more its more a passion for the mechanical wonder,jewelry or both.

My low-end (But genuine) Tissot R50: around $200..
I like how versatile it is, small size, and the fact that I can wear it to casual AND "serious" places...
(One can change the look dramatically by changing the strap...)

DSCN0354.jpg

tissot003.jpg

tissot007.jpg

I also have a Timex from Walmart as my beater-watch
smile.gif
I love it, great watch for less than $30:

Last edited:
My interest in watches began in the mid 80's with Swatch.

Then Casio G-Shocks.

My first mechanical watch was a Breitling Chronomat GT.

My tastes in Swiss mechanical watches was replaced with an appreciation for Japanese quartz accuracy, innovation in mechanical watches, and I like the fact that Seiko makes some mighty fine watches that your average watch person would not know. It will always be "just a Seiko" to them. But not me.

And all "in-house" movements BTW even down to their own grease and lumminous material.

Most of my watches are Casio's, Seiko's, and Citizen's that are JDM (Japan Domestic Market) only watches that can't be found stateside.

Some of my watches I currently own:
-Seiko Marine Master Spring Drive GMT
-Citizen Chronomaster
-Grand Seiko (Akin to Toyota's Lexus division) GMT Spring Drive
-Grand Seiko GMT mechanical
-Seiko "Darth Vader" 1000m diver
-Numerous solar Casio G-shocks (My favorite is the MR-G line-up and Frogmans)

That Spring Drive is a really interesting movement,it seems Seiko has created some sort of very unique hybrid.
I dont know much about it but i can see me owning one when i come across a good deal.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
One can change the look dramatically by changing the strap

Nice case shape on the Tissot.Good point about leather straps,they sure do change the whole look of the watch.
Last year or late 2009 JTV was blowing watches and exotic straps out like crazy.I grabbed a bunch of Russian watches cheap and about 30 genuine calf,alligator and lizard straps in various widths and colors for $12-$15 each,an amazing price for Hadley Roma straps.

Originally Posted By: Trav
That Spring Drive is a really interesting movement,it seems Seiko has created some sort of very unique hybrid.
I dont know much about it but i can see me owning one when i come across a good deal.

Here's an explanation of how the Spring Drive movement works:

Seiko Spring Drive Movement

Here's a vid of my Seiko Marine Master Spring Drive GMT. Check out how smooth the second hand sweeps:

My Seiko Marine Master Spring Drive GMT

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
I was into collecting watches some years back . I loved Omega 24J Constellations (had several ) and anything else vintage Omega . I also had about 30 RR grade pocket watches mostly in 16 size . Had a few Rolex too but IMHO an over rated watch .

I love weight driven clocks too , Vienna regulators and the like .

I should add I do have a couple Citizen ECO drives . Great watches and I like the technology too . Both my sons are in the military and I got them Luminox to wear .

I'm a big fan of the old constellations and the pie pan dials. I have a 60's era DeVille that my dad got as a service reward from GM. I bought a Omegamatic back in 2001 that is really beautiful, but was discontinued after only a couple of years (mid size case, similar to the kinetic/eco watches). I didn't wear it for a while and the capacitor died - I'm afraid of what it will cost to replace, so I'm keeping it as a collector.

A few years ago I picked up a 60's era Lucien Piccard Seashark for about $70. It's a smaller case, and very thin. Just a cool little swiss automatic. I can't stand these big, thick case watches that are so popular today (shirt/jacket sleeve always getting caught).

Definitely something special,i gotta have one of these LOL.
Seiko makes a lot of everyday pieces but always seem to have something special going on like the Hi Beat and this spring drive.

Thanks for the links,interesting.I like look of the Marine Master.

Nice thread,very enjoyable! Nice there are some watch folks here.

Also check out the Citizen Eco Drive series. Very nice watches, IMO - Only reason I didn't get one was that the one that I liked, with a less busy face, was too large for my wrist. Most of them are pretty "busy" but there's a few with less busy faces..

Here's a nice watch forum to get addicted to in the New Year
smile.gif
:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

Last edited:
I love watches, too! Oh and if you go to Overstock.com you can get some great deals!

I know what you mean about the big watches and busy dials.
The large sizes like 50mm is just to big a style for me.40-44mm is my comfort zone.

When you consider most chronograph movements were designed for 39-40mm cases they do tend to look clustered and a bit busy when placed in a larger case.

GMboy
I check Overstock often,try Ashford for some decent prices,i bought a few ebels and others from them when the market crashed in 08 at fire sale prices.

I buy a lot of Russian stuff from this guy in Germany.I visited his store in München,he is legit and okay but a bit of a loon on the shipping to the U.S. something like $25 but he does ship promptly and well packed.
His auction stuff can be had at a fair price but his buy now stuff is a bit steep.Also anything marked JL is built from various parts in his shop,not worth buying IMO unless you really like the look.

http://stores.ebay.com/Juri-Levenberg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back