Replacing failed CR-V door locks. Ignition next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 out of 3 entry locks have failed on my 2002 CR-V so I have a new set coming from Majestic. The problem is well documented in the 2002, Sidewinder cylinders I have read. The only way to get matching locks was to buy a whole set including ignition, which is working fine for now. In fact, the rate of ignition failure is considerably lower that that of the doors. Does anyone know if the two are sourced, or constructed different? With the immobilizer does the ignition cylinder even need tumblers like a door lock? Also, is the immobilizer self contained in a plug-and-play fashion, or will a trip to the dealer be required if I swap it? I am really not looking forward to getting into the steering column.

The ignition does have tumblers just like any other key lock cylinder. I don't know if the ignition and door locks are built the same, I would guess they are. I do know that the new iginition key will need to be programmed to your existing ignition switch. I do not know for sure if you replace the ignition cylinder lock with a whole new set if it has to be re-programmed. My guess would be yes, the new set probably needs to be programmed to your existing immobilizer system. The dealer is probably the only place to get it done, but you could check with a good locksmith and see if they have the right diagnostic tools to do it. Either that, or just use the new door lock key for the door locks and the original ignition lock and key to start the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back