Original Honda coolant best for my Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am about to replace the coolant in my Accord - it has almost 140K miles and it has not been replaced before.

I just picked up a gallon of original Honda coolant from the dealer.

Before I go ahead and replace it, would you guys care to tell me if this is the best choice for my car, of if I should have gone with something else?

It states on the jug: "Perfomance Honda TYPE 2 coolant is an ethylene glycol base product for extra long lasting aluminum component protection".

I am going the DIY route. Any advice on how to best do it on my particular vehicle (2005 Accord 4 cyl)?

Last edited:
I would do a simple drain and fill of the radiator using only the Honda coolant. Since you have never changed it, I would do it twice about a week apart.

You won't go wrong with genuine Honda antifreeze.
I'll bet your cooling system looks good even though 140K is pushing the original coolant.
Now if we were talking about genuine Honda Z-1 ATF, I'd suggest something better......like Redline D4...

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
I would do a simple drain and fill of the radiator using only the Honda coolant. Since you have never changed it, I would do it twice about a week apart.

+1

I would definitely go with the Honda Coolant and do 2 drain-refills a week or two apart as Slick suggested.

First let me say, I hate to recommend premix. But for Honda, the OEM Type 2 premix seems the way to go, IMO. And, unless you can easily find and get to block drains, a simple radiator drain and refill seems the best method.

Have a 01 Civic now with 145k, only used Type 2., was changed with timing belt/waterpump service. I'm not going to wait as long as recommended next time because I'm going to use Type2 premix with a simple radiator drain and refill. Still original rad. (knock wood).

140K miles, as said above, you might want to do a rad drain and refill run for some time, and repeat after a short interval. Then cut the recommended interval from that point on say, in half, or shorter interval of your choice. Or, just start the shorter interval with this drain and refill.

fyi, they do make a concentrate online in quarts, but after shipping, even more pricey than Type2 premix.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601

DITTO... This is a no brainer...

When my girlfriends 94 Civic's radiator broke the mechanic put in G-05 i think. He stated 'i use good coolant' & 'its gold but i forget what brand'. That's not saying a lot as he also dumped concentrated coolant in it.... He didnt mix it.

Well on the way home it blew a headgasket.

Since everyone seems to agree with what i had thought about using OEM coolant, ill snatch some up from the Honda dealer before he fixes that headgasket.

+1 on the back to back drain and fill, so your going to need another gallon. Here's a link for the block drain on a 2004 Accord so you only have to drain it once. It's the next to last post.

You are best to use Honda coolant, although Peak Global or Zerex Asian Vehicle formula would work too. You should open the engine block drain. Otherwise you are going to need to do at least 2 but really about 3 to 4 radiator drains to get the majority of coolant out. Honda coolant is expensive and doing multiple radiator drain and fills is going to be expensive and time consuming but it is effective.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
You are best to use Honda coolant, although Peak Global or Zerex Asian Vehicle formula would work too. You should open the engine block drain. Otherwise you are going to need to do at least 2 but really about 3 to 4 radiator drains to get the majority of coolant out. Honda coolant is expensive and doing multiple radiator drain and fills is going to be expensive and time consuming but it is effective.

mechanicx, any idea where the engine block drain is on this particular car? Is it usually fairly easy to deal with?

Several points. One of the reasons I prefer full strength coolant, besides not paying for half water, is because one can do a distilled water flush series without messing with block drain(s). Draining coolant followed by 3-4 distilled water fill and drains will get most of the old out. Full strength is required though to use the distilled drain/flush series method and properly obtain a 50% AF system concentration.

Since you now seem interested in finding the block drain using Type2 premix, and not doing a simple radiator drain and refill, H and A accessories has a diagram of the block drain location, for use with installing a block heater. Like our 01 Civic, it looks to be on the back side of the engine, above and slightly to the side of the oil filter. Filter removal may/may not be neccessary to get to the drain. If you can get to it, it will enable you to get more/most of the old coolant out, and get close to 50% concentration. See link below. Hope you follow up and let us know what you end up doing.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/03-ENGINEBLOCK4CYL.pdf

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Several points. One of the reasons I prefer full strength coolant, besides not paying for half water, is because one can do a distilled water flush series without messing with block drain(s). Draining coolant followed by 3-4 distilled water fill and drains will get most of the old out. Full strength is required though to use the distilled drain/flush series method and properly obtain a 50% AF system concentration.

Since you now seem interested in finding the block drain using Type2 premix, and not doing a simple radiator drain and refill, H and A accessories has a diagram of the block drain location, for use with installing a block heater. Like our 01 Civic, it looks to be on the back side of the engine, above and slightly to the side of the oil filter. Filter removal may/may not be neccessary to get to the drain. If you can get to it, it will enable you to get more/most of the old coolant out, and get close to 50% concentration. See link below. Hope you follow up and let us know what you end up doing.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/03-ENGINEBLOCK4CYL.pdf

+1 on the multi-drain and fill with distilled water trick. That will be my approach going forward for all my vehicles

Originally Posted By: sr17
Originally Posted By: mechanicx

mechanicx, any idea where the engine block drain is on this particular car? Is it usually fairly easy to deal with?

AS sayjac mentioned it is at the back of the engine near the oil filter.

This would be fine if you had concentrate not 50/50. Here's more info on the drain and fill on a 2004 Accord "The engine block coolant drain plug is located in what looks like a protruding pipe about 1" or less right above the oil filter. It took a 10mm allen wrench 3/8" drive. It takes about 4" of extention to clear the oil filter. I drained the radiator of fluid from the spot right under in the hole cut out for service, then drained from the engine block. Not all the fluid comes out, only about a gallon and the specs says it holds about 2 gallons."

Ok, the sum of replies I have received on this has lead me to believe that the best diy method for me is to drain and refill the radiator 2, maybe 3 times with a week or two between each refill.

It should replace most of the coolant, whilst minimize the risk of complications.

The initial drain and refill should happen sometimes this week.

Many thanks for good feedback!

Originally Posted By: sayjac
...Draining coolant followed by 3-4 distilled water fill and drains will get most of the old out. Full strength is required though to use the distilled drain/flush series method and properly obtain a 50% AF system concentration....

I've often read about this method but I don't understand how the final result would be a 50/50 mix. Perhaps you are speaking from experience for the specific car being discussed, but I've read about this technique in relation to all different vehicle types.

I think what confuses me is: Assuming you drain/fill to the point where the entire cooling system uses almost 100% water, would the last drain/fill with 100% antifreeze actually work out to a 50/50 mix?

For instance, on my vehicle, I vaguely recall that the entire cooling system capacity is somewhere in the range of 4 gallons. When I do a petcock drain from the radiator, I only get about 1 gallon out. I assume the rest remains in the engine block and in the plumbing. This would only give me somewhere around a 25% mix if I added 100% concentrate to a water-only system. What would I do then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back