An interesting observation (MMO vs. TC-W3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I base my dosage on averages. For my Grand Marquis, I use about 3.35 ml of MMO per litre of gasoline and my average fill up is 67 litres (297:1), so there's about 5 litres of fuel left in the tank (excluding reserve capacity). Sometimes there is more, but I find this to be the perfect ratio, where the engine has that extra punch and fuel economy isn't affected.

When I was using MMO in my Montero, however, I used 3.1 ml per litre and only added about 193 ml per fill up (320:1) with an average fill up of 62 litres.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
I get that, but I hope to heaven that our esteemed BITOG readers arent silly enough to dose based on tank size, and not for the amount of gas actually added to the car!!!!

Quick reality check: we all do understand that when we go the station to get gas, the tank is not COMPLETELY empty unless we coasted in after running out of gas, right? Therefore we are not pumping in a full tank of gas. To continually dose as if we were would be kind of foolish.

So say my car holds 20 gallons of gas. I don't just dump 20 gallon's worth of additive if I add 15 gallons of gas!!!!! What am I missing? Am I the only here that thinks this way?

We have one gentleman sharing his ratios down to very finite detail. I seriously doubt he throws all that work out the window and pours 8 oz MMO in the tank no matter if he's pumping 5 gallons or 20.

I hope I'm explaining what I mean properly. Please let me know if I'm being unclear, or if I'm not understanding this properly. It's been a very long day and I don't doubt that I could be completely missing the point!
smile.gif

Oh, and of course this discussion pertains to continual maintenance doses of a product. Dumping a bottle of Gumout twice a year is a different animal entirely.

Simply put base the dose on the amount of gas you are adding to the tank. I'd hope the members understand that. I can tell by the position of the gas needle how much gas I'm going to take, I add my MMO or TCW3 at the station before pumping so I get a good mix. If you can't estimate how much gas you are going to take add the UCL after you fill up.

If you are real anal, add some UCL [less than you'll need] before you pump, then adjust the dose once you know how many gallons you took.

Since I've been using TC-W3 for awhile, I add 3 ounces of TC-W3 and 3 ounces of a special Mix, (Chevron Techron concentrated fuel system cleaner/ Gumout Regane fuel system cleaner), to the fuel tank.

I know when my gas gauge needle is at the fill up stage, between 1/4 of a tank and empty, that I will be pumping in 12 - 13 gallons of gasoline.

The premixed bottle of TC-W3 and the special mix, 3 ounces of each, is added to my fuel tank prior to filling up with regular gas.

My 4Runner runs nice and smooth on this combo. I have a 500:1 ratio of TC-W3 added to my tank with the special mix every fill up.

The reason I use this "Special Mix" of Chevron Techron and Gumout Regane is simple. I needed the empty 6 ounce bottles that the Gumout Regane is packaged in so I could make up some premixed bottles for a long trip. The Chevron Techron was on sale for 2 for 1 so I had loaded up and the Gumout Regane was also on sale at Advanced Auto.

IMO...the 3 ounces of Chevron Techron/Gumout Regane added to my fuel with the TC-W3 is the sweet spot for my 4Runner and have a smooth running engine with better fuel economy on this combo.

As DermaPaint suggests, you have to experiment to find the right mix for you engine and driving habits.

Happy New Year to all!

Originally Posted By: Spyder7

I run them both for the better cleaning ability of MMO, while the engine has always sounded and felt smoothest with TC-W3 added (MMO has no effect on the engine sound while TC-W3 has a big effect on mine). I think it also helps lube the fuel pump etc a little better, too, so I see enough separate benefits from them to combine them and - for me - they work well in combination, once I hit upon the right ratio through some brief trial and error.
-Spyder

This is precisely my experience with the two products. MMO got things started in cleaning, lubing and quieting and TC-W3 took it the rest of the way. I'm only half way through my first tank with the TC-W3 and I just keep saying, "wow!" I think I see the most benefit because my injection system is mechanical and is completely dependent on pressure due to lack of electronics. The slightest deviation among injectors has a pronounced effect on how the engine runs and I can feel it through the steering wheel and the accelerator pedal. All the components from the pumps to control valves and injectors are performing flawlessly.

Thanks again, guys, for this tip. I'll only post again if I find a change in fuel mileage so I don't continue gushing about this. I have been fighting getting my injection system to run like this and it is pure joy to have it right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back