in line filter for power steering

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been thinking about putting an in line filter on the return side of my ps system. i have checked around and an in line atf filter is about 20 bucks. im wondering if a metal canister in line fuel filter will work?? any one know what a fuel filter is made out of? or if it will hold up to atf??

Like this?

$5

filter002.jpg

filter2004.jpg

filter2006.jpg

Why wouldn't you?

I would not use a fuel filter for "atf" or a hydraulic type system. I'm sure some info on this is available (not by me I dunno) but a metal canister fuel filter does not seem to be where to start looking..

In hydraulic type systems I have seen most use spin on type oil filters with higher filter type media... However with the ps unit I would assume a inline filter such as those used on transmission lines would work great.. a few bucks saved here using the wrong filter for application could be very costly as if you were replacing Honda ps parts.. I know you don't have a honda, but you would still be replacing parts, and it would not be fun, cheap or warm this time of the year.

on edit see I told ya I didn't know what I was talking about as audijunk has already done just what you are talking about it appears.

Last edited:
Notice it has a crimp clamp as a drive boot would. It was a very positive clamp. I should change out that one thinking about how black that fluid was when I flushed it. 100,600mi.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Like this?

$5

filter002.jpg

filter2004.jpg

filter2006.jpg

Why wouldn't you?

that is awesome!! i was thinking of the metal casing because i thought the atf might harm the plastic but if it doesnt hurt i would prefer a clear one so i know when to change it.
is this your car or do you know if it held up well?

In a past thread that someone put a very simular filter on a 3/8 coolant line, the filter bulged out from the heat & pressure.

I would be afraid of the heat & added return line pressure.

I read some where they had steel filters with a screen.

I like the idea of a replaceable filter. The Mopar minivans for example use a screen at the bottom of the reservoir, and the screen will often clog with junk and require cleaning, or entire reservoir replacement. I've been thinking about adding a filter to all of my PS systems. My '97 Cadillac had one (probably same as willix's above).

A number of people have said to not go with a fuel filter. I'm wondering the reason. Is the media not strong enough to handle the power steering system pressure and/or fluid? Is the plastic construction not strong enough to handle the pressure and/or temperature? And whatever the reason is, how do we know what we're claiming? Has anyone tested it, or are these just hunches?

JMHO: A fuel filter is made to be a fuel filter. I thought there was a member a while back who tried this with the somewhat same clear plastic filter and after a long haul, the filter swelled up and started leaking. Just keep a close eye on it, esp if you do intestate driving alot...

The Magnefine Filter was designed for this application as well as the transmission.

The Magnefine had a bypass valve and a magnet in it. You could use a motor oil filter mount and use a PH1 size filter if you have the room. It probably will pay for itself pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back