Oil for my new 2011 Altima?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil would everyone recommend to run in my new 2011 Altima? 2.5 liter engine. Manual says 5w30 at severe oci's of 3750 miles and 7500 mile oci's for normal driving. I'm thinking of running PYB or M1 with Napa Gold filters.

thoughts?

Napa Golds are great filters. Any of the major brand dino oils will work for severe service intervals, and any of the name brand synthetics will work for the normal intervals. There is no magic oil. Watch for sales, that can save you money.

PYB is an excellent dino and M1 is an excellent synthetic. I'd use either depending on the OCI. Napa Golds are great filters but so are Purolators. Mobil 5000 is a great oil at $11.50 for 5 qts. at WM if price is an issue.

Can you quote, or scan the actual words used for oil requirements? I'm always curious about Nissan and want to know what vehicle mfrs are saying in 2011....

Nothing wrong with your initial oil choice thoughts.

M1 would be for longest oil change intervals and PYB wpuld be for the factory recommended oil change intervals in general.

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
What oil would everyone recommend to run in my new 2011 Altima? 2.5 liter engine. Manual says 5w30 at severe oci's of 3750 miles and 7500 mile oci's for normal driving. I'm thinking of running PYB or M1 with Napa Gold filters. thoughts?

I have a 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5 S. I dumped the factory fill at 4K miles and have been running 6K mile OCIs using 5W-30 Valvoline SynPower, Castrol EDGE, and Pennzoil Ultra since with DENSO filters. The QR25DE engine seems to like them all equally, at least according to my butt-dyno. I got a UOA done on the EDGE that was run between 22K and 28K miles on the odometer and it showed good wear numbers and lots of active additive left. (Click here to see the UOA.) As a result, I will probably increase my OCI length to 7500 miles.

One thing I would recommend is using the longer filter size. Rather than a PL14612 equivalent (i.e. what some refer to as the "shorty"), use a PL14610 equivalent. The only difference is that the PL14610 is a tad longer and gives you some added filtering media. I've cut open a DENSO 150-1010 (click here) and a PureONE PL14610 (click here) and will continue to use them on my vehicles. I also wouldn't hesitate to use a WIX / Napa Gold, Mobil 1, K&N, or Bosch Distance. Based on what I've seen and read, I'll stay away from the Made in China OEM filters which have cardboard endcaps.

Enjoy your new Altima! I'm still loving mine after two and a half years.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Can you quote, or scan the actual words used for oil requirements? I'm always curious about Nissan and want to know what vehicle mfrs are saying in 2011....

Can't say whether it's different for model year 2011, but here's what the 2010 owner's manual states: "NISSAN recommends the use of an energy conserving oil in order to improve fuel economy. Select only engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) certification or International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) certification and SAE viscosity standard." The API service symbol shows API SERVICE SM, SAE 5W-30, ENERGY CONSERVING.

OP, living in North Carolina, you may appreciate that the Purolator oil filters are made in Fayetteville. I typically run Purolator filters, unless I have a particularly compelling reason to use an OEM filter. In the case of the Nissan, I wouldn't (have a reason to run an OEM filter), and would probably get the PureOne filter (in the correct size while still in warranty) from Advance Auto Parts for the $5 or less they cost now.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
the only thing i dont like about the pure one`s,is that [censored] yellow gritty stuff.

I agree. I wish they'd go back to the blue paint they used previously. But since the internals are top-notch and the price is right, I find a way to get past the external appearance.

I'd run whatever synthetic is on sale. M1, Syntec, SynPower, etc -- all can be had for a good price and can easily handle the 7500 mile interval.

I like the Mobil 1 little guys. They are high flow with a good medium. Amsoil, Motul 8100, Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum, Mobil 1. The choice is yours.
And remember don't add any snake oil products, Oils now have their own additives that are just as good and better.

Consider some Pennzoil Platinum before you decide on the Mobil 1. PP is some good stuff at a great price. Besides you will not have to worry about all that "high iron" controversy
grin2.gif
28.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Can't say whether it's different for model year 2011, but here's what the 2010 owner's manual states: "NISSAN recommends the use of an energy conserving oil in order to improve fuel economy. Select only engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) certification or International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) certification and SAE viscosity standard." The API service symbol shows API SERVICE SM, SAE 5W-30, ENERGY CONSERVING.

Thanks! I'm kind of a nut about reading manuals. People think it's odd, I always want to read their manuals.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back