Engine Failure - Toyota 4Runner V6 - Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow up please!

I also have GR engine, but 2GR. Powerful and efficient but I have some doubts if durable. Because of that I only use 5W30 and make sure the oil change every 5000 miles/6 months is well documented by a Toyota dealer stamp at least before warranty expires.

I have been out of town the past few days, returning home last night. This morning I called the Service Rep and asked ...... "where are we and what do you need from me?" He said again, "I need the receipts from your last seven oil changes."

I said...."Well, that is a little problematic for me. I usually purchase my oil in bulk and I only have a couple of receipts....for several gallons at a time. I do have a service log....." He interrupted....."That log is all I need. Can you bring it in."

So....this is one page of what I took in to him.....

102_1351.jpg

When I arrived at the dealership and he got a look at my log (approximately 17 pages of similar data for several vehicles back to 2000) and he looked at the 4runner pages (8 oil changes).....he said, "this is great and will do just fine."

Apparently, the Service Rep is going to meet with the Service Manager and they were going to contact Toyota with all the info and seek the approval for a new engine. With the approval, he said it would take about 8 business days to fix.

In the old engine, a rod was thrown through the engine block. I asked him....how does that happen? He said....based on their experience, this happens when the engine is run at very high RPMs for an extended time. I know this not to be the case, so taking advice from previous posters....I decided not to pick a fight with him....keep him as my friend and get the new engine.

He should call me back tomorrow with the official decision from Toyota.

By the way, when I dropped off the 4Runner last week, I had to sign an agreement that stated, I would pay $100 if they tore down the engine....and the warranty work was refused and I took the vehicle somewhere else for the work.

The dealership has already torn into the engine to determine what happened.

Just waiting on Toyota for approval. Hopefully in a day or two.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
"That log is all I need. Can you bring it in."

So....this is one page of what I took in to him.....

and he looked at the 4runner pages (8 oil changes).....he said, "this is great and will do just fine."

So in the end the service rep. did not need to see any oil or filter receipts from these previous 7 or 8 oil changes?

So glad it worked out for ya so far BigJohn... as it does most of the time for most people. The 20 years I spent in the auto repair industry, much of them at dealerships, left me with the conviction that most warranty problems are dealership problems.

That assumes the customer is legitimately entitled to the warranty repair, of course. There are obvious cases where people come in with stuff way outside the "contract" and figger they can whine, cajole, shout or sue their way into a repair to which they are not entitled. The dealership can screw up by having incompetent people (either techs or warranty/service writer people) and thereby make the road pretty tough for the customer.

BigJohn, it sounds like you have a good dealer, putting the customer first and giving you the benefit of the doubt.

BTW, I agree with the assessment of the service manager... high revs is ONE way a rod comes loose. Another common failure is a con-rod bolt that has a flaw (or was overtorqued on assembly) and breaks. Seen more than a few of those in my 40+ years of playing with engines. I've seen casting flaws in con rods where the rod actually broke. Like a cancer, the flaw is there waiting for the moment to strike. It's often fairly obvious. In either case, the flaw is there from day one. They usually don't last 30K miles, but some do. If the engine is used easily most of the time, a little hard use or "youthful exuberance" (which any engine should be able to handle) will bring out the flaw.

It's a pretty obvious "read" on how hard the engine was working when the rod drops. If it comes loose under high revs, it's usually fairly spectacular, coming thru the block. Most thrown rods, when they come loose while the engine is under a light load or easy use (as with a flaw), they don't always, or often in my experience, come thru the block.

You can read a lot from the rod and the rod bolts too. A you can usually see the "chicken" of the broken rod bolt in the "egg" of the failure. It looks different than one that failed due to abuse and sustained high revs in a way that's hard to describe. It's often snapped cleanly ahile everything else is a twisted mess. Sometimes, of course, it's pretty hard to find the "chicken" in the midst of the carnage.

Most likely Toyota will come through. It's their general policy not to be "richards" anyway, but the recent gas pedal debacle has likely put them into a more generous mood.

I said...."Well, that is a little problematic for me. I usually purchase my oil in bulk and I only have a couple of receipts....for several gallons at a time. I do have a service log....." He interrupted....."That log is all I need. Can you bring it in."

When I arrived at the dealership and he got a look at my log (approximately 17 pages of similar data for several vehicles back to 2000) and he looked at the 4runner pages (8 oil changes).....he said, "this is great and will do just fine."

Excellent news with them accepting the log, hopefully approval will follow shortly. I do a agree with the previous poster, that the accelerator debacle should make Toyota a bit more humble here.

As for the cause of rod failure, as long as Toyota provides a new engine, let them say what they want. You know the truth.

Good to hear. However, don't be surprised if he calls back and says the Rep actually wants to see those reciepts. Logs can be faked easily. Much harder with receipts. Either way you have a good service writer you are dealing with.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Good to hear. However, don't be surprised if he calls back and says the Rep actually wants to see those reciepts. Logs can be faked easily. Much harder with receipts. Either way you have a good service writer you are dealing with.

Yeah, I am already, mentally, headed down that road. I have two receipts of mass oil purchases and the gal at my local Wal-Mart says that she can pull up and reprint my 6 jug purchase of Motorcraft 5w20. I feel pretty good about that.

I also want believe that Toyota is a bit more willing to make customers happy these days in light of their troubles.

Sort of on pins and needles....waiting for the call where they say..."Mr. Lane, Toyota has approved the new engine and it will be ready next Friday!"

When I walked into PepBoys on Black Friday, I was struggling with....."Should I take advantage of the GTX sale, since I am a 'synthetic guy'. For $6, for 5 quarts and a Purolator filter, I couldn't say NO. I wasn't sure how I was going to use the oil....maybe in my Mom's rig, etc... (she is adamant about 3k OCI's).

Now, I have my use. When I get this new engine, it will be two, short runs of GTX 5w30 for break-in. Then I will head back over to Synthetic Land....for 5k/6mon OCI's.

I wonder though....I wonder what kind of warranty I will get with the new engine?????

102_1270.jpg

I wonder though....I wonder what kind of warranty I will get with the new engine?????

Typically with a new replacement engine you would get the remaining warranty on the vehicle. So if for the sake of argument you had 50,000 miles on the vehicle and 1 year left on a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty, you'd have 1 year or 10,000 miles which ever comes first. You might be able to negotiate a longer warranty with them since you did have an engine failure and were inconvenienced as a result of it. It varies with different companies.

My wife just reminded me.... When we purchased the 4Runner new, we paid for a 7yr/100k extended warranty. I will assume (until I read the fine print), that the extended warranty will cover the new engine....all the way out.

Therefore, I should be covered until October of 2014 or another 65k miles.

My wife just reminded me.... When we purchased the 4Runner new, we paid for a 7yr/100k extended warranty. I will assume (until I read the fine print), that the extended warranty will cover the new engine....all the way out.

Therefore, I should be covered until October of 2014 or another 65k miles.

You should be good. But read the fine print, because certain extended warranties are not from the actual car mfg, but a warranty or insurance company. Either way you have a contract for 7 years/100K, and should be fine. You got to love the fine print!

As of lunch today, I still had not heard from the dealership and couldn't take it any more, so I called.

My service guy said that they had not heard back from Toyota yet, but he said....and I quote....

"John, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Your documentation is excellent and it within the manufacturers requirements for maintenance. Toyota simply wants proof that the vehicle has been properly maintained. This time of the year, it is standard for Toyota Reps to take off the last two weeks of the year. Our Rep, is sporadically responding, so I am hopeful that he will call back today and give us the thumbs-up."

"Your documentation is excellent and it within the manufacturers requirements for maintenance. Toyota simply wants proof that the vehicle has been properly maintained..."

I am just surprised that ...documentation is excellent and it is within the manufacturers requirements for maintenance... does not include receipts such as oil and filter purchases
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
"Your documentation is excellent and it within the manufacturers requirements for maintenance. Toyota simply wants proof that the vehicle has been properly maintained..."

I am just surprised that ...documentation is excellent and it is within the manufacturers requirements for maintenance... does not include receipts such as oil and filter purchases
21.gif

Couple factors, in my opinion....that lead to my documentation being sufficient, and not requiring receipts.

1. Toyota doesn't want to stir the pot any further and is desperately seeking customer satisfaction.

2. The Dealership wants the work.

3. My maintenance log is very, very compelling. It goes back to the year 2000 and includes vehicles that I don't even own any more and it includes my motorcycles.

i work at a toyota dealer....we had one goofball customer in his 07 camry drive 84k KM and only did 3 oil changes. i had to replace the knocking short block....and yup...under warranty.

when i asked him how often he changed his engine oil...he told me when the light comes on....i was confused so i asked what light?...he said the oil light....DOH!!

i find that dealers are so determined to satisfy the customer that they will give them warranty on just about anything even when poorly maintained...i get that all the time....it's very rare we turn down warranty work.

IF they give you a problem and try to get out of it contact a lemon law attorney in your state and they will send an asc certified mechanic to professionally examine your car and they will take it to court most times no charge to you..It would be good to get an oil sample also.. Everyone will soon know what happened to the motor you can usually see from the bearings if it was over revved, overheated,anti freeze or neglected.. They will have a hard time when you have the lemon law attorneys on your side if they think its a case..They will have to pay for everything plus expenses if they lose...All stated differ a little..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
IF they give you a problem and try to get out of it contact a lemon law attorney in your state and they will send an asc certified mechanic to professionally examine your car and they will take it to court most times no charge to you..It would be good to get an oil sample also.. Everyone will soon know what happened to the motor you can usually see from the bearings if it was over revved, overheated,anti freeze or neglected.. They will have a hard time when you have the lemon law attorneys on your side if they think its a case..They will have to pay for everything plus expenses if they lose...All stated differ a little..

Are people still posting worst case scenario advice when he already said everything was going smoothly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back