Barcalounger for my Beemer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BMW GS gets the most miles of all the bikes in my stable but since I have two herniated discs in my lower back, I have been limited to about 250-300 miles a day. So in an attempt to get in longer days, I just bought a Russell Day-Long saddle.

Time will tell if it works as planned but the initial impression is fantastic.
thumbsup2.gif

Before:
885313012_qsKkq-L.jpg

Now:
1136132241_c2K3z-L.jpg

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
That backrest looks sweet, you must have a skinny ole lady to fit in that space. lol.,,

Heh heh, she tried it out and she fit in there but it was snug. I already moved the trunk about two inches rearward to give her a little breathing room.

I also noticed that I now need to reach for the bars more than before so a little further tweaking is in order.

Seems a strange thing to do to a GS Adventure,if you are mainly riding it on easy roads wouldn't a more street biased bike be better?

Originally Posted By: Silk
Seems a strange thing to do to a GS Adventure,if you are mainly riding it on easy roads wouldn't a more street biased bike be better?

Good question.

I initially wanted an RT road bike but it just didn't fit me well. Then I saw the GS.

At 5'-17"
lol.gif
and about 250 pounds the ergonomics of the GS and it's 36" seat height were perfect for me. So I rarely use the off-road capabilities of the bike and have it set up primarily for road use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great!!

I'm interested in a couple things, as regards a new couch for my own '09 GS:
1. What did it cost?
2. How long did it take to get it?
3. Does it increase the ride height any? I'm 6'0", and really don't NEED any more of a reach to terra firma!!

If you guys can ever get some decent weather down there, mebbe you can give us some real-world testing info!!

Originally Posted By: RWEST

Looks great!!

I'm interested in a couple things, as regards a new couch for my own '09 GS:
1. What did it cost?
2. How long did it take to get it?
3. Does it increase the ride height any? I'm 6'0", and really don't NEED any more of a reach to terra firma!!

If you guys can ever get some decent weather down there, mebbe you can give us some real-world testing info!!

Thanks.

I figured that someone would get around to asking about the details and I will answer your questions in reverse order.

3. It does not increase the ride height as far as I can tell but the wide rear area of support does make me "scooch" forward a little when I come to a stop to let me flatfoot.

2. Well, I had to mail my seat to California on December 6th so that they would have it in time for the scheduled December 13th build date. They called me on the 16th and I received it back on the 23rd. Russell uses the existing seat pan and then builds their proprietary seat on it. The big negative to me was the fact that I would no longer have my stock seat as a back-up but there was a nearly unanimous consensus among riders that had bought the Russell that it was well worth it.

1. Cost. Yeah, that was another big hurdle since my wife thought it was overpriced. I did too but I there were not a lot of alternatives. I managed to get a 20% discount by waiting for the annual ADVrider group buy but it still cost $775.00 shipped.

It may not be for everyone but it makes a huge difference in comfort and I am happy with it.

Thanks for the info!!

Wow, $775 is quite a chunk of cash...
eek.gif
I think I'll wait till you have a chance to give it a proper long-term test before I sell some blood plasma
wink.gif
Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back