What is sodium soap grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember sodium soap grease from high school
I did not see it in the list of greases
I remember that we put it in wheel bearings
Is it still used or was it replaced by a different name.
Also
Can I use wheel bearing greese for general lube of bearings

Sodium refers to the type of thickener used to make the grease. Not all greases with different thickeners are compatible, hence the bearing must be completely cleaned of the old grease before regreasing.

Most automotive greases nowadays are lithium-based. Make sure you use one that is formulated for automotive wheel bearings... one that is heat-resistant.

Greases are soaps, the salt of a metal and a fatty acid. Sodium and calcium used to be more common, but lithium is the choice for many modern applications.

The spec sheet I have from the last tube I ordered says it's a sodium-based thickener compound, has synthetic base oils (most likely a POE or di-ester), and has the MolyDithiocarbamate version of moly for EP service.

Maybe they have since changed the thickener?

AS far as I know Sodium based thickener greases are not in manufacture,,,they are a sister to lithium 12 hydrosterate type,wich again is harder to find,Shell Alvina is one and is a fairly decent grease ,washes out in water and emulsifies in moisture conditions,,,, what is your app, and what brand is saying sodium base????????,BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back