Forester Vs. CRV? Cannot decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Im looking to get my wife a baby SUV, ive narrowed it down to the CRV vs. Forester. Both will be bought new. Both will 4WD/AWD. Prices will be pretty much the same.
We have gone on a test drive of each, but a test drive is no where close to actually owning one and using it daily.
My priorities are safety (Equal), fuel economy (equal) and reliablity (i presume they are equal but am unsure of long term ownership). We will be buying and keeping it for 5-7 years minimum.
Owned an old accord, ran it till 200K, loved every second of it. Never owned a Subaru.
All help is appreciated, thanks!

I'll probably get some flak for this, but this would be an easy choice for me - CRV.

I still see enough examples of 05 and later Subaru 2.5 engines with head gasket issues. Subaru keeps claiming the probelm is fixed, yet after about 4 or 5 years, they keep showing up.

I owned both a CRV and a Forester (last generation of both). The Forester had some good points - soft, comfortable ride, lots of legroom, quiet, a lot of utility. But it had more than its share of little pain in the neck things - stereo failed, wind leaks around the windshield, easily torn and stained seat materials, too many rattles, lousy paint, poor OEM tires, bad stereo speakers, rotors that warped too quickly, and a tendency to ping on anything less than 92 octane. This was all in 50k miles of ownership.

I know most people have a very high opinion of subaru, but I was disappoointed.

Even aside from my personal experience, that head gasket issue would give me serious pause if you're loooking at long term ownership (as would the much more frequent and expensive manufacturer maintenance schedule).

GM and Ford has several competitive products that get excellent fuel mileage.I was a import person for a few decades.The last decade my blood runs red,white and blue.I know some of the domestics parts etc.are built/made elsewhere.The Traverse and Equinox I have not driven but would if in a small SUV market over a import.Ford has a few that sure are goodlooking.Think I'd at least look and compare.

I love my CRV, but it is two generations removed from this one. I have a sister who has had a subaru last for over 200,000 miles and a brother-in-law with a Forrester last well over 100,000 before his kid wrecked it. For 5-7 years I would go with whichever one I liked the ride the best. Either should serve you well, so pick the one you enjoy the most.

ref

I would probably go with a CRV, if it were me, I would also follow hounddogs advice and look into Ford, I am not a big fan of GM anymore but I am sure their quality has improved as of late, I just do not care for them for other reasons.

I liked my Subaru 2000 Forester. If you drive in snow country then Subaru is the was to with the Full time AWD (all wheels driving 100% of the time). Sold mine at 127,000 miles running as new to a neighbor who now has ~ 200,000 miles. Major items replaced; Exhaust with cat, one brake caliper and front shocks. CRV and Subaru are both great vehicles and while American vehicles look very good in the short term, it remains to be seen if the opinion holds up after 4 o5 years.

The biggest difference is the AWD system on them. The Subaru's is better, but it also requires matched tires which would make me not want it. The CRV is only part time, shuts off at 18~25mph, but will tolerate even a donut spare for long distances.

I'm not sure what a Forester has as a tranny now, if it's still the 4 speed the CRV for sure.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Neither are stellar in terms of MPG. Both are reliable but cost of maintenance will be cheaper in the long run on the CRV.

Why? Both have AWD systems, both have ATs. Matched tires are important apparently and so that may be a cost issue if you have tire issues or poor driving habits.

Some friends have a CRV and the rear seat is pretty big, and they recline which is nice. It is also prone to wind noise.

Id probably go subaru as long as the interior is half decent, as Im not a big fan of the Honda Kool Aid. You cant get a CRV in MT (not sure of the Subaru, but surely there is a higher chance).

Think too of you getting gas and though you are in NJ price could be $5 in the summer. So maybe think ahead and go for a Hybrid now when they are alot cheaper than when gas :(goes through the roof.
Originally Posted By: casperfun
This won't help. But I see a female liking a Honda CRV as their baby SUV. But for safety in the snow in NJ, I would pick the Suburu.

We have had six Hondas over the years, so had no real predisposition to buy a Forester.
The Forester is probably the safer of the two.
The Subie probably has a better AWD system.
The Subaru would likely be as reliable as the Honda.
The current 2.5 NA will probably not have head gasket problems, but the Subaru will certainly cost more to own. Timing belt service is 2X the cost on the Sube that it is on the Honda, for example.
The Subaru Forester has ample room for four full sized adults and their gear, and is quite comfortable on a long trip.
We did a trip with this very load over the Thansgiving weekend, about 250 miles each way, and everyone was comfortable.
The Subaru has better seats for a long ride than most current Hondas I have been in.
OTOH, the CRV would almost have to offer better fuel economy than does the Forester.
In snow, I doubt that the CRV does as well as the Forester, which is the real strength of these vehicles.
Let her look at and drive both, and let her decide which one she prefers.

New Forester now has timing chains with the NA engine.
AWD system is better with the Subaru.
Manual 5 speed is avail with the Subaru. (50/50 AWD system with manual, 90/10 with Auto then both systems place the power where needed. And it WORKS!)
I think insurance is cheaper with the Subaru. (It is for me)

Bill

If you want it for its AWD system, hands down, Subaru.

If you want it for its cost of maintenance, hands down, CRV.

They are both excellent vehicles. Pick the one that has the best dealer support in case you need it.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
GM at last thinks theirs will.5/100 warranty.Reviews on some of the smaller GM SUVs is outstanding.

That's powertrain only, right? The bumper-to-bumper is still 3/36?

Honda's powertrain warranty is 5/60, so there's little difference between GM's and Honda's warranty, as long as you drive the typical 12k miles/year.

The Mazda CX-7.

The Honda's oil filter is a PITA. Lot's of maintenance stuff on a Subaru is a PITA.

The CX-7i should be as reliable as a Fusion 2.5 and the CX-7 turbo? The DISI is probably less reliable but oh what fun...

But for cost I would probably look into the Sportage/Tucson. I haven't driven the Sorento out of a parking lot yet but it is pretty impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back