How good is Permatex Brake Caliper Grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Permatex synthetic caliper lube with excellent results on all import cars (front caliper guide pin lube)..

Before that I used Sylglide for over a decade (very difficult to get Sylglide here) and it's been serving my cars very well.

Best of all: these are the *proper* type of lube for rubber moisture seal (guide pins, etc.) that will not swell or cause any deterioriation.

Gunk "Solder seal" recently released a caliper lube with moly inside. I bought it but now testing it on rubber parts compatability (needs 30 days). Hopefully, it will not cause any rubber deterioriation/swelling.

IMHO MOly or not, it is advisable to have your caliper guide pins lubricated every 2 years (more so if you operate in high moisture/heat/snowy winter conditions), or whenever your front brakes/rotors off for service inspection.

It's a synthetic hydrocarbon, poly (alpha-olefin) based with silicon dioxide.

http://www.permatex.com/MSDS_data/msds_pdf/24110.pdf

This is different from the silicone (dielectric) grease touted by others, which is basically silicone grease with no other additive.

I imagine the silicon dioxide in the formulation is a thickening agent.

This grease does not contain molybdenum disulfide. I don't know how good this grease is.

In my personal stash I use a silicone grease that has thickener. It has more consistency (body) than the regular silicone and is just as heat resistant.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
It's a synthetic hydrocarbon, poly (alpha-olefin) based with silicon dioxide.

http://www.permatex.com/MSDS_data/msds_pdf/24110.pdf

This is different from the silicone (dielectric) grease touted by others, which is basically silicone grease with no other additive.

I imagine the silicon dioxide in the formulation is a thickening agent.

This grease does not contain molybdenum disulfide. I don't know how good this grease is.

In my personal stash I use a silicone grease that has thickener. It has more consistency (body) than the regular silicone and is just as heat resistant.

So does the "synthetic" in this grease amount to anything? How does this compare to the Sly-Glide? Anyone have an opion if a Moly Grease is better / worse?

In this case, synthetic means the same thing it does for mototr oil... it's a PAO.

Syl-Glide is simply silicone grease.

Moly disulfide (MoS2) is an excellent solid lubricant for metal-on-metal application. I don't think it's good as a brake caliper lube because this is a rubber-on-metal application.

Permatex is- in general- a company that carries an excellent line of products. I haven't used the specific caliper grease you mentioned. I have used the Permatex Anti-Sieze silver paste in a silver bottle for years on GM caliper brakes with excellent results. This product is designed as an anti-seize on steel on alum threads or steel on iron threads. Example: spark plugs and bolts.

Look No Further! This caliper grease works great.

PolySi Technologies’ PST-407 Synthetic Caliper Grease is a polyalkylene glycol (PAG) based grease designed to be used as a lubricant and corrosion protectant for metal-to-metal applications (e.g. guide pins) in automotive brake calipers. The grease has an operating temperature range of –40 to 150C (-40 to 302 F).
Typical Uses:
• Automotive brake caliper mounting pin lubrication OEM Approved
• Lubricant for metal/metal pairings

Please visit our website at www.polysi.com for product and ordering information.

Brandon Ruiz-Sales
PolySi Technologies, Inc

A PAG is going to be hygroscopic. Can't think of any application where that would be an advantage. If you can't find Sil-Glyde, almost any silicone grease should be better and more versatile. I can't see having a material around just for caliper slides. It certainly would be crap to use in assembling a caliper if you rebuilt it.

Use Motorcraft Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound or Squeak Relief, which contains silicone grease and moly. Most auto manufacturers specify silicone grease period.

We can't tell a difference between special brake grease and high temp wheel bearing grease.
We don't use brake grease anymore.

That's a shame, because brake caliper lube does a wonderful job of keeping the brake caliper mechanism moving and prevents seizure. Hi-temp wheel bearing grease won't perform as well.

They are visibly different. Brake caliper lube is translucent while hi-temp bearing grease is usually colored - tan, caramel, red, blue, black, depending on manufacturer and product.

Permatex is excellent. CRC also makes full line of Industrial and Professional brake greases and chemicals. Get the ones that comes in a green can or bottle.

I've got the 8oz brush-top bottle of PERMATEX® Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube. Picked it up from carquest about a year ago. It's kinda pricey at ~$14/bottle, but it should last a lifetime & then some. I've done 3-4 brake jobs with it so far & it sticks around longer than the sylglide(sp?) I normally used. It's green, VERY sticky and keeps those caliper slides sliding!

G/luck
Joel

There are different systems of caliper slides. I like the GM system where there are rubber O-rings in the caliper that slide on extensions of the bolts that hold the caliper. Ford and others use interlocking metal groves. I can't see anything beating a good silicone for the GM style or for assembling a caliper. On the other hand, for the metal to metal style, a good moly grease might work better. Match the grease to the application.

I use the Permatex BCG also. It's available at the 3 or 4 autoparts stores that I shop at. About $12-$13. Have had good success on the sliders and as an anti-squeel compound.

I have used the SLIPKOTE 220-R SILICONE DISC BRAKE CALIPER GREASE manufactured by HUSK-ITT Corp., CA in Russia with great results. Here is the link http://www.huskey.com./s_autodisc.html

This grease has better service temperature than Permatex Ultra Disk Brake Caliper Lube. The service temperature of SLIPKOTE 220-R Silicone DBC Grease is around –50 °F to 550 °F (-45 °C to 287.8 °C). It is good for racing application and for Siberia and Alaska climates -
smile.gif

In addition, I partially use the HUSKEY 2000 Lubricating Paste and Anti-Seize Compound for disk brake caliper of thereof manufacturer.

Does anybody see these products in retail outlets in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back