Mom's new 2010 Honda CR V, AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbh

Looking for information to get the most life out of mom's CR V. 135 miles on it so far, 0-20w oil. Should I change fluids out early? If so, what fluids, trans, rear diff. How long to first oil change ? What do you reccommend ? Thanks in advance.

Do what the Honda owners/service recommendations are. No need to change anything out early. The only place to get the rear diff fluid is at a Honda dealer. No one else makes it.
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Only use Honda fluids for the diff and the power steering. Otherwise a reasonable OCI 5000~7500 miles and the ATF every 30,000 and that will still be running fine in 2030.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Only use Honda fluids for the diff and the power steering. Otherwise a reasonable OCI 5000~7500 miles and the ATF every 30,000 and that will still be running fine in 2030.

Yes to the above. Use MC 5w20 and use the oil life monitor, and do drain/fill the ATF with either Z-1 or Amsoil every 30k and you should be perfect...that's what I'm doing in my 2005 CR-V. The rear diff is indeed Dual Pump fluid. I changed it at 25k and will change it again at 60k. If you are going to do it yourself, you should go buy a pump that screws into the quart bottle that you can pump into the diff. You cannot pour anything into it due to lack of space.

Id be most scared about the reliability of Honda ATs. They seemed to have fixed much of that, but I still wouldnt trust it. Change that fluid early and often, IMO.

5K miles for the factory oil.

40K miles for the ATF to get rid of any junk, you will be surprised at how dirty the magnetic drain plug gets.

Other than that she will get many miles out of her CRV

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id be most scared about the reliability of Honda ATs. They seemed to have fixed much of that, but I still wouldnt trust it. Change that fluid early and often, IMO.

I think the automatic transmissions on the CR-V and Element are pretty bullet proof. Just change the fluid as recommended by Honda.

I have had a new Honda for my spouse and I since 1980.

Civics/Accords/CRV/Pilot/RSX Acura

The ones I leased I used conventional oil and changed it out every 5,000 miles.

The couple I bought I followed the Honda service manual and had all the preventative maintenance done at the dealer. All dealers now have Exxon conventional oil...and Penzoil Platinum. With conventional go 5,000 and with synthetic you can go 7,500 miles

If you do this...like I have done on a couple Accords...expect to be running past 350,000 miles and a car that can go to past 500,000 miles without a problem...I sold mine at 350,000 miles and no major issues.

The manual will have you changing out fluids on a schedule...in the end it saves money if you plan on going these distances.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete591
All dealers now have Exxon conventional oil...and Penzoil Platinum.

This should bring some interesting responses.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: Pete591
All dealers now have Exxon conventional oil...and Penzoil Platinum.

This should bring some interesting responses.

+1

Leave the original factory fill in for at least 5K miles. It is loaded with moly and other additives. Then every 5K miles on syn...

The tranny/rear, I would do the severe service recommendations. Have had many Honda/Acura vehicles(CRV and MDX's) and in my opinion the tranny's can be problematic. If you change the tranny fluid every 15K(one drain and fill) or so then the tranny will last you for many years.The rear fluid I would do every 30K miles or at least every other year.

Last edited:
Wait till 4k miles for first change or one yr
Tranny and diffusion or tfr case 15k miles first time. Then on only tranny drain. And fill every 15k.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

40K miles for the ATF to get rid of any junk, you will be surprised at how dirty the magnetic drain plug gets.

The mag plug on my 07 Accord 4cyl trans had very little debris on it after 40k on AMSoil, 47k total.

I thought 0-20w must be synthetic oils? If so, what oil and filter do you guys recommend in my mom's 2010 CRV? this will be the first OC ever. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb

Ive always heard to ONLY use honda tranny fluid in Hondas.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Have had many Honda/Acura vehicles(CRV and MDX's) and in my opinion the tranny's can be problematic.

By and large, the transmission problems were fixed in the 2003-2004 timeframe. They went from a 3-shaft unit to a 4-shaft design, and many of the problems went away. For example, the 2004+ MDX has the new transmission and transmission problems are rare on the 2004+ 'Xes. I think the Odyssey got the "MDX transmission" in 2007, but I think even the 2004-2006 Odyssey transmissions were upgraded over previous units.

Honda makes it easy to do maintenance, though, with convenient drain plugs. So there's little excuse to go beyond what Honda recommends. Second Johnny's comment on the rear housing fluid only available at the Honda dealer. If it's the same VTM+4 fluid that the MDX/Pilot/Ridgeline uses, it's dealer-only. And about $20-30 for a gallon, which is the only way it's sold to my knowledge.

Originally Posted By: shadow7
I thought 0-20w must be synthetic oils? If so, what oil and filter do you guys recommend in my mom's 2010 CRV? this will be the first OC ever. Thanks.

Any 0W-20 oil will be fine, as will any quality filter. For what it's worth, I just put Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 into my MDX, along with a Purolator PureOne filter (PL14610). Your CR-V should take the same filter.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: shadow7

Any 0W-20 oil will be fine, as will any quality filter. For what it's worth, I just put Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 into my MDX, along with a Purolator PureOne filter (PL14610). Your CR-V should take the same filter.

Thank you sir. I am going to buy the oil and pay a shop to do the job, since i don't think i will be able to loosen the factory bolts lol.

Last edited:
You can use either 0W-20 or 5W-20 in the CRV. There transmissions, like the Element are different than what goes in the Accords and Odysseys. Very trouble free.

The fluid in the read diff is called Dual Pump Fluid and it comes in quart bottles at the dealer, or you can order it online from a couple of good Honda sources.

Follow the owners manual and you Mom's CRV will last for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back