Bleeding from grease gun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a grease that will not bleed from my grease gun under pressure? Its a problem to get the grease to flow again after pulling the plunger back out.

This is for lawn mower spindles, bearings on atv's.

release the pressure on the grease gun,,they vary on brand etc,,as some have a small trigger by the plunger rod,,or others have a little ball on the top push this will release air when loading ,,,others pull plunger back and lock ,unscrew top carefully to release pressure then screw back on,,,all grease bleeds,hang gun up bottom down orwrap in a old large rag,,refrigeration helps the effect of storage, found some synthic greases (Mobil) bleed and seperate badly,,,Al. complex ,calcium better,,,,,,,BL

I hate the grease gun bleeding. It is a messy enough job without that. I thought by buying the more expensive synthetic grease, I would avoid the bleeding. I did not. I appreciate the air bleeding tips. In the mean time, keeping my gun wrapped in plastic bags.

Yeah I always had a mess when using conventional greases, espically since my grease gun is stored in a hot shed. I tried the Mobil 1 grease and had a HUGE mess where I stored my grease gun.

I tried Valvoline Durablend and it did much better. Very little bleeding out of the gun. Shaeffers #238 and 231 have also done very little bleeding out of the gun.

I used to have that problem with every grease I tried especially the synthetic greases. After switching to Scheaffer's grease it has not been a problem.

This threads pretty old
smile.gif

I've found that tapping the side of the gun helps to get the air out when I need to use it. Still annoying but it works.

So I'll just stick to the grease I can easily obtain.

I like the bleeding, as a high tack/low bleed grease may have problems getting redistrubuted for adequate lubrication. I notice this in the CV joints on the older car, where I can end up with a ticking that follows road speed, and I can quiet it by doing tight figure of 8s in a parking, reversing direction after a few turns. I'm guessing that I'm just redistributing the grease in the joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back