Truth about Ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not the idea, it is how it was implemented that needs review.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

Quote:

Brazil's sugar cane-based industry is more efficient than the U.S. corn-based industry. Sugar cane ethanol has an energy balance seven times greater than ethanol produced from corn.[3] Brazilian distillers are able to produce ethanol for 22 cents per liter, compared with the 30 cents per liter for corn-based ethanol.[112] U.S. corn-derived ethanol costs 30% more because the corn starch must first be converted to sugar before being distilled into alcohol.[75] Despite this cost differential in production, the U.S. does not import more Brazilian ethanol because of U.S. trade barriers corresponding to a tariff of 54-cent per gallon, first imposed in 1980, but kept to offset the 45-cent per gallon blender's federal tax credit that is applied to ethanol no matter its country of origin

previously discussed here

Last edited:
The mandate to use ethanol has driven up food prices as well.

Also, what qualifies Al Gore as an expert on energy, GW or anything else for that matter?

I like the malted barley variety of Ethanol ... Scot sourced ... (HIC!) pardon ME!
smile.gif

I think the reason we don't use sugar cane is that we already have the infrastructure to process corn and nobody wants to be the guinea pig and reinvest in a different method. There is also a way to turn anything that has cellulose in it into ethanol. Corn is just easy right now...

Originally Posted By: willix
It's unfortunate they have all those farmers sucking the entitlement tit.

You're right but it's not just farmers.
'Entitlements' have become a way of life for most Americans.

Id rather have farmers than more obnoxious mcmansions... But the efficacy of ethanol has been discussed elsewhere so please continue those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back