Motorcraft 5W50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
MC_5W50_VOA.jpg

Wow - they ran it twice. But again the accredited lab thing kicks in........it'd be nice..........that can't be right unless there's something about this oil I don't know.

I have seen UOA of this same type of oil with higher levels of P and Zn. Don't know why the levels are that low.

Thats blackstone and their machinery again. They must not know know how to calibrate. You cant meet GF4/5 SM/SN with these levels. A minimum level of Phos does exist.

Well, the answer is to send another same of oil FROM THAT SAME BOTTLE to another lab. 'Course it's easy for me to spend somebody else's money!

Last edited:
Is this an old sample? Additive settled out? Hard to imagine those numbers are accurate, but since they ran the sample twice.... Hard to imagine it's a calibration error this huge. Every sample they sent through the machine that hour/afternoon/day/whatever would be off. Saying Blackstone doesn't know how to calibrate a machine doesn't seem like a winning answer to me.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Is this an old sample? Additive settled out? Hard to imagine those numbers are accurate, but since they ran the sample twice.... Hard to imagine it's a calibration error this huge.

The sample was taken from a left-over open bottle from my previous oil change last April 2010. I purchased the oil just before. I don't know whether the results would be any different had I shook up the bottle before taking the sample. I'll send in the used oil for analysis to see how it compares when I do my next oil change ... using Red Line oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Was the bottle shaken well before taking the sample? Additives do settle out. This is what I suspect.

No I did not shake the bottle before taking the sample as I don't shake them before pouring the oil in the motor.

The UOA should indicate whether the oil has unusually low Zn and P.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Thats blackstone and their machinery again. They must not know know how to calibrate. You cant meet GF4/5 SM/SN with these levels. A minimum level of Phos does exist.

For API only a phos. Max. exists no minimum. I think we are going to see a lot of this. These are just SN preparations and I think we are going to see a big drop in addy packs in the coming years. JMO

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws

For API only a phos. Max. exists no minimum. I think we are going to see a lot of this. These are just SN preparations and I think we are going to see a big drop in addy packs in the coming years. JMO

Yes, there is a minimum.

Quote:
Phosphorus, %min 0.06

Regardless of whether it is resource conserving or not.
0.06% would be 600ppm. The max is 0.08% so the range for resource conserving would be 600-800ppm. I cant imagine a 5W50 being resource conserving, so technically, no max exists.

Blackstone states that they ran it twice. So, they were most likely dumbfounded by the low ZDP. Should've shaken the bottle.

Definitely need another shaken sample sent to Blackstone or another lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back