Cam Shield ZDDP replacement additive found !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZDDP additive finally found that is "usable."
After using the link ag_ghost provided where Joe Mondello recommended a product called Cam Shield I was impressed.
Finally there is a way to add all the benefits of ZDDP to the new oil they're making.
I'm thinking about getting some to add to things like my lawnmower oil and pressure washer pump and engine. These primitive oiling systems can use all the help they can get from ZDDP as far as I'm concearned.
Heck, I might even start adding it to my German Castrol in everything.
It goes a long way. seems like an ounce and a half would do about 6 quarts of modern oil!
Check it out!

Last edited:
Red Line makes a break in oil additive that boosts ZDDP if you feel the need, a little goes a long way.

Come on Pablo,
As a senior member here I'm sure you could give me some SERIOUS thoughts on this additive.

Originally Posted By: daman
They've had that out for YEARS! it's called HDEO.

plus i got 60 bottles of SLOB left..so i'm good.

I still remember when SLOB was the stuff. I have some of it too. It's starting to settle some in the bottle but it still smells good. That's all that counts isn't it?

Originally Posted By: j_mac
Come on Pablo,
As a senior member here I'm sure you could give me some SERIOUS thoughts on this additive.

Serious? I don't see the need for additives in the engines you listed, then you say throw it in GC and "modern oil". Pretty much every person I know in real life (in fact ALL) don't use any oil additives at all in a broken in engine. Can't remember any engine failures. Sure different engines require different oils, but there are tons of oils that will work in "lawnmower oil and pressure washer pump and engine (s)".

I gave you some of my thoughts. Can you please answer my question. I'm capable of finding their website and seeing their promises, and it's probably not a detrimental - but since you posted about the stuff I would love your thoughts on what the REAL benefits are.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Originally Posted By: daman
They've had that out for YEARS! it's called HDEO.

plus i got 60 bottles of SLOB left..so i'm good.

I still remember when SLOB was the stuff. I have some of it too. It's starting to settle some in the bottle but it still smells good. That's all that counts isn't it?

You just have to shake it up really good is all.

Pablo,
The real benefit of this additive is to replace what the EPA (either directly or inderectly) bullied out of oil. The ZDDP. All oil would contain about 1200ppm of ZDDP per quart if the oil engineers had their way without any outside influence. I want my oil that way for maximum protection of my equipment.
This company claims their product will replace missing ZDDP.
Thats what I want.

Pablo,
. All oil would contain about 1200ppm of ZDDP per quart if the oil engineers had their way without any outside influence.

You mean 1200ppm of zinc or phosphorus, don't you? 1200ppm ZDDP would be about 120ppm of Zn or P, not much.
And not to be nitpicky, but "1200ppm per quart" doesn't make any sense; 1200 ppm is a measure of concentration, not an amount.

Charlie

Last edited:
Yeah, I had a double brain [censored] there Charlie. You're right.

I'm just trying to figure out how to put the ZDDP back into the oil that has been removed.

Petoleum engineers were forced to remove ZDDP from oil not because they wanted to, but because it was found to improve the life of catalytic converters.

ZDDP reduces wear. I want that protection in my equipment!

Relax this is not a big deal, you can get Lucas Break In additive at advanced auto for $8. Just be careful as an ounce will bump up your concentration quite a bit. ZDDP additives have been available since forever.

Pablo,
The real benefit of this additive is to replace what the EPA (either directly or inderectly) bullied out of oil. The ZDDP. All oil would contain about 1200ppm of ZDDP per quart if the oil engineers had their way without any outside influence. I want my oil that way for maximum protection of my equipment.
This company claims their product will replace missing ZDDP.
Thats what I want.

I'm just trying to figure out how to put the ZDDP back into the oil that has been removed.

Petoleum engineers were forced to remove ZDDP from oil not because they wanted to, but because it was found to improve the life of catalytic converters.

ZDDP reduces wear. I want that protection in my equipment!

I think you are either way overthinking it or underthinking it. But mostly you are working under some assumptions that just don't seem to be on solid footing.

First let's just start with the fact that you can magically add this or that to a fully formulated oil and make all properties better. Wish it were that easy. Typically by attempting to "beef up" one aspect of motor oil via additives or home brew, you detract from other qualities of said oil. ALWAYS better to just pick a formulated oil. If you truly have some equipment that needs HDEO or elevated ZDDP, then just buy the correct motor oil.

Let's deal with this "ZDDP reduces wear." Nope, that's not purely true. Tons of cars now running 500-600-800 ppm Zn/P oil still going strong - it's not like the lower levels happened just this year. Sure when you get down in the 400ppm Zn/P levels and below it could be an issue. And I even highly doubt you will see lower wear in your "equipment" by tossing in some ZDDP additive. Again better to choose a purpose made oil for your "equipment" - even those rare hi-po engines with their super high valvetrain pressure points!

Stick around and learn. There are actually oils with no ZDDP. Find the SAE paper(s) on Zn/P reduction.

Is this stuff like the HyperLube ZRA (zinc replacement additive) on the shelf at Pep boys??

It is clear and claims to contain NO actual ZDDP to kill your catcons and O2s (and PO the EPA), but gives ALL of the benefits of actual ZDDP (must be some form of ester compound?
21.gif
).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Is this stuff like the HyperLube ZRA (zinc replacement additive) on the shelf at Pep boys??

It is clear and claims to contain NO actual ZDDP to kill your catcons and O2s (and PO the EPA), but gives ALL of the benefits of actual ZDDP (must be some form of ester compound?
21.gif
).

The Hyper Lube ZRA bottle says complex polymer esters.

So, Pablo, what would happen if I added this company's ZDDP additive to German Castrol to get it up to the 1200ppm that was an industry standard before the catalytic convertor scare.

Would it make it a more capable oil? Or could it have some negative effects?

And the reason so many newer vehicles are doing fine on the new low ZDDP oils is because they were DESIGNED to run on it!

I just want the most robust lubricant possible in my stuff.

So, Pablo, what would happen if I added this company's ZDDP additive to German Castrol to get it up to the 1200ppm that was an industry standard before the catalytic convertor scare.

Would it make it a more capable oil? Or could it have some negative effects?

And the reason so many newer vehicles are doing fine on the new low ZDDP oils is because they were DESIGNED to run on it!

I just want the most robust lubricant possible in my stuff.

Mainly your wallet will be lighter.

It will not make GC any more capable.

I cannot for certain say it will have negative effects, best to ask Castrol.

There are lots of vehicles produced before the converter scare that are running perfect on low ZDDP formulations.

Just like the claims that tolerances were tightened to enable low-vis oils were found to be false, likely the claim that engines were redesigned for lower zinc is also false.

ZDDP is obsolete technology, and replacement chemistries have more than the capability to protect in most circumstances.

it has been shown(so i hear)that higher levels of ZDDP and lower levels of calcium replaced by magnesium produce better cam wear.
some one told me that calcium actual works against ZDDP.
it makes sense if you read the t6 voas, they have a bit lower calcium than others with higher magnesium levels.
now all of this is hear say that i got from a machinist friend that just got back from an oil lecture by some guru in dallas so dont hold me to any of it

but if i needed higher levels of ZDDP i would just run compcams new oil and change at 3k or even sooner. if it was an all out race car i would run conv VR1, its cheap, and change on raceday
just my $.002

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

ZDDP is obsolete technology, and replacement chemistries have more than the capability to protect in most circumstances.

show me an oil with out ZDDP that can take 300 lbs over the nose on a solid flat tappet then we can call it obsolete. fact is they dont have anything yet to replace it or it would be gone all together. its just new cars with rollers dont need as much, even the flat tappets now days have very low spring pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back