Oil for 2002 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to take care of a 4 cylinder 2002 Toyota Camry with 105k miles on it for a family member. I was asking about the history of the vehicle was told it gets an oil change "every so often". I was looking through some receipts and that would mean once or twice a year.

The Camry now is used for multiple errands of 2-20 miles per trip. Most of the 100k miles were used in heavy city traffic. and the temp here never drops below 60F.

I changed the oil and oil filter using Mobil1 Clean 5000 5W-30 and a Napa Gold oil filter in the middle of November 2010. The engine did not seem to be burning off oil

Since there were irregular OCIs, what interval should I use with this vehicle? Should I continue with the Mobil1 Clean 5000 with a 5k miles OCI or something else?

Thanks for your help. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season with friends and family!

Good oil (BTW.. its Mobil 5000 NOT Mobil1 ) and 5000 miles or 6 months is what I'd do. Nothing else will do any better with the use and temps it will see.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you!

Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

I wish these oil companies would get their figures straight. It seems these OCI ratings have more to do with not picking a fight with the dealerships than it does with reality. It seems Mobil 1 is rating their conventional oils for 10,000 mi now. Here is a snippet from the FAQ section for Mobil 5000 on the M1 site:

My owner's manual says to change oil every 10,000 miles; can I still use Mobil Clean 5000?

Yes. For applications where the oil life indicator light or owner's manual recommended change interval exceeds 5,000 miles and a conventional oil is recommended, Mobil Clean 5000 will provide protection for the full oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: AlanCanada
I wish these oil companies would get their figures straight. It seems these OCI ratings have more to do with not picking a fight with the dealerships than it does with reality. It seems Mobil 1 is rating their conventional oils for 10,000 mi now. Here is a snippet from the FAQ section for Mobil 5000 on the M1 site:

My owner's manual says to change oil every 10,000 miles; can I still use Mobil Clean 5000?

Yes. For applications where the oil life indicator light or owner's manual recommended change interval exceeds 5,000 miles and a conventional oil is recommended, Mobil Clean 5000 will provide protection for the full oil change interval.

Yeah just follow your owners manual or a 5,000 mile OCI and you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Good oil (BTW.. its Mobil 5000 NOT Mobil1 ) and 5000 miles or 6 months is what I'd do. Nothing else will do any better with the use and temps it will see.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you!

Bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

Yes. Change the PCV Valve too, it's cheap & worth every penny.
thumbsup2.gif

"Should I continue with the Mobil Clean 5000 with a 5k miles OCI or something else?"

Mobil 5000 is very good oil.

"I was asking about the history of the vehicle was told it gets an oil change "every so often"."

And 5000 miles is a good interval for cleaning or keeping an engine clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back