bicycle bearing grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Ellsworth Truth full suspension mountain bike that pivots on sealed cartridge bearings. The seals can be removed, so that the bearings can be re-lubed.

Ellsworth likes to refer to the bearings as maintenance free, but we BITOGers know better. What type of grease should I re-lube them with?

I use blue marine grease (boat trailer wheel bearing grease)for the bearings on my mountain bike. There are a lot of water drossings (especially this year) where I like to ride. This was recommended in a mountain bike repair manual I had a few years back.

The bike industry is full of synthetic bearing grease ment specifically for your high dollar application. If you don't want to shop for grease at the bike shop and don't do many water crossings, try looking at something like Mobil 1 grease.

I do nearly all my own bike maintenance, and when I was learning about mountain bikes and their care and feeding, I learned a lot from a local bike shop owner. He said that really any good quality automotive wheel bearing grease was much more than a bike needed.

I have had good luck with Park Bicycle Tools Polylube 1000 grease. It has also held up in a 80 pound work bike I have that has a coaster brake in the back. It gets pretty warm going down a 2.5 mile hill and the grease not run out. mikeyoilnutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back